Wheel steering pedestal removal and replacement project

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Re: Wheel steering pedestal removal and replacement project

Post by Jim Walsh »

The process continues. I delivered my chain and cables to Rigging Only. I asked that the cables be replaced and that the rigger assess the condition of my chain. He see's more steering chains and cables in a week than I've seen in my lifetime and I value his opinion. The following morning I received a phone call informing me that the cost of the replacement cables was $49.00 and the chain was reused as it was in fine condition. It was overnighted to my home.
The pedestal was being sanded last Friday so steady progress is being made toward the day I can begin reassembly.....not that I'm looking forward to folding myself up under the cockpit, but it would be nice to get everything installed before the bitter weather arrives.
Attachments
New steering cables!
New steering cables!
image.jpeg (327.48 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

I know you take a lot of photos.

I assume the photo above was taken "after" cleaning/soaking with xylene. Any chance you have a "before" photo of the chain and cable :?:

If not, could you please dirty up the chain and cable to look like they did before treatment with xylene. :?: :D :D :D :D :D

Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sorry Roberto. I didn't take a photo of the chain and cables "before". My hands were way to greasy to touch my camera.
I can't bring myself to "dirty up" the cables just to satisfy your curiosity :?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

If anyone is interested in a used pedestal, I came across this in the Boston craiglist. It's a marine salvage yard in Quincy, Mass. The reply is : vqpvc-5881534631@sale.craigslist.org.
Attachments
00j0j_7aUPnTiLydT_300x300.jpg
00j0j_7aUPnTiLydT_300x300.jpg (16.51 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The process continues;
Santa stopped by a little early! How he got a pedestal down the chimney I'll never know.
It's way too cold to consider beginning the reinstallation process. If the weather moderates I'll start the process but I may have to wait till spring.
Attachments
The used pedestal waiting to be "dry fit" and professionally painted.
The used pedestal waiting to be "dry fit" and professionally painted.
image.jpeg (371.5 KiB) Viewed 444 times
The replacement Yacht Specialties pedestal gleaming in its new paint.
The replacement Yacht Specialties pedestal gleaming in its new paint.
image.jpeg (404.88 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim Walsh wrote:The process continues; It's way too cold to consider beginning the reinstallation process. If the weather moderates I'll start the process but I may have to wait till spring.
Sadly, here in South Florida we managed to achieve a record high temp for this date - 87 degrees Fahrenheit. The previous record was 86 degrees set in the year 1900 :!: That is not a typo. It has been a record for 116 years :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Keith

Post by Keith »

Jim,

Did you have it wet painted or powder coated?

Keith
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Keith wrote:Jim,

Did you have it wet painted or powder coated?

Keith
I wanted it done right so I had the pro in the marina do it. It was sanded, primed, and two sprayed coats of AwlCraft "Snow White" applied.
Last edited by Jim Walsh on Apr 30th, '17, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Have you thought about tiller steering? Wheel steering hardware is such a Rude Goldberg machine on every boat. Wish I had and may still go that way on my CD 36.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Skylark wrote:Have you thought about tiller steering? Wheel steering hardware is such a Rude Goldberg machine on every boat. Wish I had and may still go that way on my CD 36.
I have always preferred the tiller, however the tiller on our 27 takes up the entire cockpit :!: I can reach the cabin top winch and halyard clutch while still holding onto the tiller. That may seem like an advantage when single handing, but for a day sail it is a pain in the knees.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Skylark wrote:Have you thought about tiller steering? Wheel steering hardware is such a Rude Goldberg machine on every boat. Wish I had and may still go that way on my CD 36.
It's just a matter of personal choice. I've owned tiller steered yachts and at this juncture in my life I prefer wheel steering. Describing them as "Rube Goldberg" affairs seems a bit harsh when you consider the paucity of reports of failure.
Yacht Specialties clearly had casting issues in the base casting of an unknown number of their pedestals. Our past Commodore, Mike Connell, is also the owner of a CD31 which had corrosion issues with a Yacht Specialties pedestal. He was lucky to have been able to effect a repair. My pedestal was beyond repair.
A properly designed and installed tiller is rugged and simple. A properly designed and installed pedestal steering unit clearly has more components and the "opportunity" for failure, but the current state of design and construction has made the failure incidence rate infinitesimally small.
Had I been entertaining the thought of converting to tiller steering this would certainly have been a strategic opportunity to do so.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Excellent work Jim.

Have you written about your winter cover before? What is it like? How is it constructed? Are you happy with it! Got any pictures? :)
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:Excellent work Jim.

Have you written about your winter cover before? What is it like? How is it constructed? Are you happy with it! Got any pictures? :)
It's a Fairclough cover I've had since 2011. I'm very happy with it. I have an athwartships zipper which effectively breaks it into two sections so I can relatively easily lay the cover in place after I've assembled the frame. I always do it myself so it would be a snap for two to do. When disassembled the whole thing fits in my Outback so transporting it is no big hassle. Once its in place it hugs the hull. The lines which go under the hull are just tight enough to remove slack, not bar tight. I have a zippered door on the starboard side right where my boarding gate is in the lifelines so access is easy. I had the stern section made to fit around my wind vane like a glove. It is completely waterproof and is light inside as you can see from my earlier photos. I have six screened cowl vents so I've never had any mildew issues. I wanted the hull protected right down to the waterline but they can customize a cover to make it any length. They also have covers for those who leave their masts in place and their boats in the water.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 398 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (260.97 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Wow! That's the nicest cover I have ever seen!