Block for flag hoist on mast spreader

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Capt Hook

Re: Block for flag hoist on mast spreader

Post by Capt Hook »

tjr818 wrote:Lisa G,
Are you posting a message along with the quotes? All I see are the quotes themselves, I don't see any message.

Is anyone else seeing a message?
No
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Roberto
I use two small harken bullet blocks for my flag halyards. The one in the photo is $14 at WM. I think I bought them at Jamestown Distributors for $9. You can also use a small schafer micro block as well. My spreader is a little different than the stock rig rite spreaders. I bet you can drill and tap a small pad eye onto the underside of the spreader. Typically you locate the pad eye about 1/4 - 1/3 inboard of the tip of the spreader. Don't forget to lube the threads of the fasteners with some anti galvanic paste. I use tef-gel.

One block would work fine. By using two I can hoist my radar reflector and it won't chafe on the halyard. I fly the Q flag and host nation flags on the starboard spreader and the radar reflector on the port spreader flag halyard. I use 3/16" - 1/4" double braid Dacron line for the halyards.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John S.:

Thank you. I will stop at WM and check out the Harken blocks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil