Options for Removing Perkins 4108 from Cape Dory 36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

chuck carmichael
Location: GALATEA, CD36, #67; PYGMALION, J-22; CREAMPUFF, CD Typhoon #1612, Healy Creek, Hardyville, VA

Re: Options for Removing Perkins 4108 from Cape Dory 36

Post by chuck carmichael »

Jeff, I removed the Perkins 4.108 from my CD 36 last Friday. I’m replacing it with a Beta 38. I hauled the boat out at Crown Marine in Deltaville. I spent a couple of days removing the electrical connections, the hoses and the engine mounts. The only parts of the engine that had to be removed were the alternator and the high rise elbow. Crown then bolted a chain harness towards the front of the engine which was attached to a chain hoist supported by Crowns truck crane. With one person in back of the engine to guide it out of the engine compartment and another person guiding it in the saloon I ratcheted the chain hoist until the engine was out of the boat. Thereafter Crown removed the engine from the boat with his crane. With the alternator removed the width of the engine was about 22”s and the width of the companionway was 23”s so no problem. I did remove the hatch for a little more room. Just unscrew the 2rubber stoppers and the hatch slides out.

Galatea Hull 67
1982 CD36
chuck carmichael