Cracks!?!?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fmueller

Re: Cracks!?!?

Post by fmueller »

This winter my boat (CD 27) was blocked in two places, but forward - there is lead under both positions I think, because the grounding plate is positioned just above lead encapsulation where the bilge falls away

I'm thinking it's a mistake to put any significant block load "on the hard" back near the rudder post ... ?

This is never a problem/prospect on more "modern" keel designs: fin/bulb types ??

Another pix (note, that's a white plastic bucket behind the boat - not t third block)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

grluecke wrote:My wife is up in Maine ding brightwork
Greg:

As did Cliff, I never got past the above statement in your initial post. :wink:

As for the "cracks", I seem to recall a similar issue on my Typhoon Weekender. I was told it was insignificant and not to worry about it. I did as I was told.

As for the blocks, last year when I hauled out S/V Bali Ha'i (CD 25D) in June the yard put blocks positioned very similar to your photos. I mentioned this to the marina manager who has an affinity for sailboats and Cape Dory sailboats in particular. He said it was not an issue and that there was really not that much weight on the stern blocks. She was on blocks for three (3) months and did not seem to be any the worse for the position of the blocks.

This year I am hauling out again at the end of June and will be sure to insist that the stern blocks are positioned further away from the stern of the keel/rudder.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>The stern blocking bears very little weight. If you took away the poppets, you could probably lift the stern by getting your back under the transom. Not recommended. Think of your boat like a seesaw.<<

Proven often enough by those who forget to fit a bow stand while their boat is on the hard.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698