Typhoon Doohickey

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

katiekb

Re: Typhoon Doohickey

Post by katiekb »

You guys are too funny. This is totally how some of your posts look to me when I read them!

Kathryn
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I just bought the bronze Doohickey on EBay for $22 - a really good deal, shipping was only $895.00. However no instructions came with it so I am in a quandary. Does the wide end go down or up? What size line is used to adjust it? and lastly, Can I take it with me when I get a larger boat than the Typhoon? :oops: :roll:
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

katiekb wrote:You guys are too funny. This is totally how some of your posts look to me when I read them!

Kathryn
Hi Kathryn,

Awful sorry to hear about your dexlycia. Take heart, there is a cure for it. At bed time, take two (or more) dark and stromeys, then call me in the monring. [not too elray]

I sure hope that this helps.

Dr O J :D :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dick Villamil wrote:I just bought the bronze Doohickey on EBay for $22 - a really good deal, shipping was only $895.00. However no instructions came with it so I am in a quandary. Does the wide end go down or up? What size line is used to adjust it? and lastly, Can I take it with me when I get a larger boat than the Typhoon? :oops: :roll:
Dick:

No offense, but boy did you get royally screwed. I bought mine direct from a Chinese factory in Zhangzhou, China for $2.99 with only $21.98 shipping costs. I am looking forward to accepting delivery in 4-5 months. It is being sent via Chinese junket around Cape Horn. I was assured by the factory's agent that the material was of very high quality, durable and would not cause any contact medical issues. I am overjoyed with my purchase. :D :wink:

If anyone wants the contact information let me know.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote: At bed time, take two (or more) dark and stromeys, then call me in the monring.
Looks like OJ had a few too many as he was typoing this. In any case, if you can call him in the morning, you haven't had enough Dark 'n Stormys!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
katiekb

Post by katiekb »

Had my first Dark and Stormy at the Volvo races last weekend. Loved it! :D
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

katiekb wrote:Had my first Dark and Stormy at the Volvo races last weekend. Loved it! :D
I remember my first one, too. My last one, not so much. :)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Katie,

I just happened to note on your name tag that it says "Little Red".

Is that the color of your Ty hull or are you an auburn haired Celtic lass? :?:

O J

PS: You aren't required to answer. :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
casampson

Post by casampson »

It seems I've been hijacked. This thread is not about red hair or dark and stormy beverages. It is meant to be a serious discussion about my doohickey.

Thank you, in advance, for staying on topic. And thanks to all of those who have provided constructive contributions thus far.

That said, my guess would be it is the boat that is red.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Dark and stormy red headed Celtic lasses? Doohickeys? This might be turning into an X rated topic :D
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
katiekb

Post by katiekb »

Little Red is classic white with red boot stripe and red trim (cushions, sail cover.) Kept her name from previous owner as my dog is a reddish goldendoodle and very cute. We hope to go sailing with him in "his boat." Now back to the doohickeys....
pjust

Post by pjust »

Dick Villamil wrote:I just bought the bronze Doohickey on EBay for $22 - a really good deal, shipping was only $895.00. However no instructions came with it so I am in a quandary. Does the wide end go down or up? What size line is used to adjust it? and lastly, Can I take it with me when I get a larger boat than the Typhoon? :oops: :roll:
Well, if you'd gotten a proper set of keskesay wrenches for the installation this would be obvious. Be sure to get a metric set. And remember, get them in copper, not steel, or you'll mar the bronze. Arschloch GmbH has a very nice set for only €4500 but they're backordered until October 2019.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor