solar panel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Maine Sail

Re: solar panel

Post by Maine Sail »

And the computer the anti-Chinese sentiments were typed on has no Chinese components and was not made in China..? :wink:

Interestingly enough the same exact thing was said of the Japanese, and they cleaned our clocks on quality because we just kept putting our heads in the sand and saying "those rice burners are junk"......

While we were busy slamming the Japanese they were busy building more reliable electronics and cars and motorcycles & medical equipment products than we'd ever dreamed of building... Look where companies like Honda and Toyota are today after nearly everyone in the 70's and 80's snubbed their nose at them just as many are doing today with the Chinese.

Toyota is now the #1 auto maker in the world and GM is #6... Wow!!! The largest US maker is now Ford at #4... Honda comes in at #7 with an extremely limited line up of vehicles compared to Ford, GM or even Toyota and heck they don't even build a single true pick up truck which is what puts Ford where they are......

Yep you could not pay me to own a Chrysler or GM product unless things drastically change in terms of quality but we've only seen meager increase in quality with those two since the early 80's. Sad really because I really like the Suburban/Yukon/Denali but you could not pay me enough to own one. My next door neighbors are on their third transmission on their Denali in 4 years!!!!! I drove the US cars for 20 years, as company cars, racking up 60k -100k per year, and they simply did not compete with what my wife drove then or we drive today in terms of reliability.

We buy Honda's and Toyota's usually built right here in the US but by a Japanese company with strong reliability standards. While my other Toyota is not built in the US it has still proven to be one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned, 151k and only one head light and the cup holder clips broke. My wife's Pilot? The rear seat latch cable broke and we had to replace the radiator but that was at 172k miles it is now over 180k...... If the US makers could build vehicles that reliable I would buy one in a heart beat. For now Ford comes closest but no cigar...

If we Keep laughing at the Chinese & we keep burying our heads in the sand on the quality they can and do produce, we will soon be eating with chop-sticks.... :wink: The idea that the US only builds quality and the Chinese build junk has more holes in it than a screen door.....

Buy American when you can and the quality is good if not then focus on quality not where it was made... Every country out there is capable of building quality..
Last edited by Maine Sail on Mar 28th, '15, 11:47, edited 2 times in total.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
My comments have nothing to do with politics. For me, it is solely an issue of consumer safety and, on this board, sailor safety.
I take Roberto at his word and support his efforts to use American sourced products as he sees fit. We all have the privilege of doing our own research and spending our dollars as we see fit.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Maine Sail wrote:And the computer the anti-Chinese sentiments were typed on has no Chinese components and was not made in China..? :wink:
Well, this is going to be an embarrassing post. Before doing so I want to apologize to Megunticook and all for apparently re-routing this thread to a discussion not suggested by Megunticook.

Maine Sail, when you can, Megunticook (and many others including me) would like to know your thoughts about the quality, etc., of the Ganz solar panels. If there are others you would recommend for what Megunticook (and others) have in mind, perhaps you could list those as well.

Sooooooo, confident of the mfg. of my current laptop computer I looked on the bottom and to my surprise found in tiny letters "Made in China". Embarrassing. :oops: :oops: In my defense, this is only my second computer. My first was a DELL purchased in 1999. I am very sure it was "Made the USA". In 2012 it finally died (13 years is pretty good I am told) and I bought my current (and hopefully last) small DELL laptop. I foolishly assumed it too was "Made in the USA". Wrong. My screw up. So far it has worked OK and I hope this continues.

My beef is not with "foreign" mfg. products. The Japanese, Koreans, Germans, Swiss, etc. make excellent products. My beef is solely with "Made in China". The quality issues are well documented with Chinese made products.

I again apologize to Megunticook, Jeff and others for leading this thread astray with my comments about "Made in China". Russell is right. You would have to live in a cave not to know how I feel about "Made in China" products. But then I have a DELL "Made in China". :oops: I long for the days of the simple black rotary dial AT&T telephone and a B & W TV mfg. by RCA in the USA. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Our 60 watt 12 volt Kyocera panel has worked well for 12 years. I believe they make them in Japan, Mexico and Czech Republic as well as China.
Paul
CDSOA Member
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Megunticook
I have a 6 watt Gantz for the last 4 years that seems to keep the battery topped off ok.
I am on a mooring and between the wind and tide the panel gets a good amount of sun.
I think I paid below $ 100
My needs are minimal Just running and cabin lights as I have no alternator
Maybe the 12 would fit your needs better especially with the sale going on.
As Jeff pointed out no need for a charge controller
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

The Ganz is a decent little panel. There is also Solara and Aurinco...
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Went to the Hamilton "sale" and 75% of what was on my list wasn't marked down, including of course the solar panels and charge controllers. So I held off. I must say, Hamilton Marine's big annual sale is kind of a joke, basically they mark a few things down 5-25% (mostly in the 10% range) off retail, then make a big brouhaha about the awesome sale they're having. Humph! And don't even get me started about their website. . .

But thanks for the advice on panels.