Shortening the Boom

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shinok

Re: Shortening the Boom

Post by Shinok »

Our CD27 had a main that was smaller than spec, both in foot and luff. I found the boat handled and balanced much better with the smaller main than the standard size main we later acquired. I do not recall the exact dimensions, but I found the boat was much easier to handle off the wind with the smaller sail than the standard dimension main. There are obviously a lot of factors here, but it was noticeable enough for me to think twice about sticking to the standard main dimensions. The dimensions were not far off from spec, but enough to make a difference.

I told this to another local who has owned several Alberg and traditional design boats, his response to me was that almost all Alberg designs are over canvassed in the main and benefit from a -slightly- smaller main. This isn't gospel and it's obvious that most people here have no issue with their standard dimension sails, but it is another observation from someone I've done a lot of work with and trust.

We obviously did not cut the boom, I wasn't that brave, you can always raise a smaller sail, you can't extend your boom :) There were several times I wished it was shorter, though. Mainly when it left bruises on my head, but that's more my fault than the boom. I usually try to avoid making alterations that cost thousands to fix and work around them, instead (e.g. install track and sliding blocks for outhaul + reef points).

Regarding the discussion around the age of the design, just because it's a 30+ year old design, doesn't make it the right in every regard. There seem to be inherent flaws in every design and build that don't hold up to the test of time. I've just come to the conclusion that I'll sail and operate it the way I find it does best, while trying to avoid making significant alterations.
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Jim, we all know that Mrs. Alberg did most of the heavy lifting... She could drive a planimeter like Sterling Moss.

:)
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:Jim, we all know that Mrs. Alberg did most of the heavy lifting... She could drive a planimeter like Sterling Moss.

:)
I've been known to emulate Sir Stirling in my Vette. In 1960 he was banned for driving for a year due to his dangerous driving. I've yet to be caught :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time