What to take on my first cruise?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Adamhagan

Re: What to take on my first cruise?

Post by Adamhagan »

1: Most of all go through your engine YOURSELF before you even leave.

Change the impeller, the oil & filter, verify coolant level (spare antifreeze), change the fuel filter. It will give you a familiarity so when you have to fix things at 0200 in the dark, with lightening, following 30 knot seas you will roughly know where things go.

2: RUBBER BOOTS, stay dry. Wet + Wind = Cold and slows down your thinking. You only have one brain single handing.

3: 25mg Antivert q12hours, take one tablet the night before. Get an RX for a large supply. Personally, I don't need it but is has rescued several crew members. There is a bravado regarding seasickness, but for a >24hour passage I think it is the prudent choice to have remedies.

4: I quadruple the recommendation for the multimeter. Russell's tidbits have paid many dividends for me.
Kind Regards,

Adam
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

After taking possession of my CD, I sailed her home single handed.
On the third day, I was pushing hard against wind and sea to reach an anchorage.
The engine lost power and quit at dusk, about 5 miles short.
Having purchased towing insurance, I used it.
The 5 mile tow invoiced for $1000 (they charge more after dark) .
So, yes to tow insurance and also extra fuel filters (you never know what is in the bottom of the tank, waiting to be stirred up).

A thermos of coffee and MRE's are good for a hot meal, when you may not have time or inclination to prepare something.
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

If there are any, your medications. Easy to forget. Trust me.

A paper chart of the area.

Enjoy!

D
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

Hello,

In Maine even for two days, bring plenty of clothing for a variety of conditions. For quick snacks we like prepacked cheese and crackers (Captains Wafers), single serving fruit snacks (these also have hydration benefits), diet iced tea in cans (very thirst quenching), soft granola bars, cocoa, tea, instant coffee, (carry insulated mugs), cup o soups, single puddings. We also like St. Dalfour Gourmet on the Go single serving "meals" for eating in the cockpit underway http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C413 (We prefer the tuna and salmon versions.)

Basically, you don't want to get cold and you don't want to be to hungry.

Brian
RC James

Post by RC James »

An empty plastic 1-gallon anti-freeze/water jug w/screw on cap next to you in the cockpit.

When sailing alone, the forward head of the 25D may LOOK close, but it's not! :oops:
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Brian2 wrote:Basically, you don't want to get cold and you don't want to be to hungry.
Cold, wet and hungry. One is uncomfortable, two you can tolerate but three is a place you don't want to be.

Lots of advice in this thread about stocking the boat. I'll add three things you should have stocked in your skill set:

Know how to anchor
Know how to reef
Know how to heave to
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

RC James wrote:An empty plastic 1-gallon anti-freeze/water jug w/screw on cap next to you in the cockpit.

When sailing alone, the forward head of the 25D may LOOK close, but it's not! :oops:
RC:

I would not advise anyone use a "water jug" for the purpose you are suggesting. Unfortunate mistakes can happen.

I have no skills or experience to offer on "things to bring" but I would offer the suggestion of having one can of Guinnesss aboard to celebrate after you have successfully docked/moored at your destination. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Carl Thunberg

Java

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm surprised and a little disappointed that no one has mentioned the coffee pot. My personal preference is a stovetop percolator. It doesn't work so well under way, but there's nothing like it at anchor. Make enough to put in a thermos while you're under way.

One other item that I found indispensable was a pair of slippers or wool socks that never leave the cabin. Cold, wet feet s_ck.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Good call on the coffee and thermos. I keep instant coffee on board for when I don't feel like bothering with making decent coffee. Most mornings I use a French press with fresh ground coffee from home. It makes about 2&1/2 mugs which I can either drink right up or put some in the thermos.

I would add that you should also take along a variety of books aside from a current copy of Eldridge and harbor guides for the area you are cruising. We keep a few field guides, and some books on mechanics, electrical and general boat maintenance on board. Then you also need a few novels to help pass the quiet or boring times, Steve.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

To add to Carl's recommendation, I always take a 1-quart stainless-steel thermos. I boil up water for breakfast (usually tea for me) and washing, and fill the thermos. This provides me with hot water throughout the day, as well as for the evening wash-up.

If it's sunny, a Sunshower on the foredeck also comes in handy.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Ann and David Brownlee

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

What fun!

Lots of good advice on spares and safety equipment. Hormel "hot" chili is the best meal-in-a-can.

We'd add: real sheets and a blanket for your bunk.
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Ann and David Brownlee wrote:What fun!

Lots of good advice on spares and safety equipment. Hormel "hot" chili is the best meal-in-a-can.
I see that you emphasize "hot". Woo Hoo. Easy on the cayenne pepper.

Maybe a close second to "hot" chili is one of our favorites, canned Dinty Moore beef stew. It's a faux, poor boys Mulligan Stew. Meat, potatoes, veggies and who knows what else you put into a stew. :?: But it's gooood. Mmmm.

Bon Appetit,

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Mike Thompson

Post by Mike Thompson »

>>>> ICE <<<<
Mike Thompson, Sailor and Artist
CD 28 HAVEN, Spruce Head, Maine
http://cunliffethompson.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mike Thompson wrote:>>>> ICE <<<<
You don't enjoy "bilge temperature"?

Laura and I typically cruise without. We're in port every night, most often within walking distance of fresh provisions.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Adamhagan

Post by Adamhagan »

Mike Thompson wrote:>>>> ICE <<<<
Ice BLOCKS go a long way!
Kind Regards,

Adam