New Sailing Movie

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

joemerchant

Re: New Sailing Movie

Post by joemerchant »

Shinok wrote:Any guesses on what the boat is in the photograph?
Cal 39.

Three were used in the film and all three destroyed.

As far as Captain Ron, the Wanderer is alive and well down in Kemah, TX. At least one of the three used. It has a new owner and will be used as a day charter.

Had a friend who was selling his Cheoy Lee a number of years ago offered to buy it and use it in the movie multiplicity. He declined to sell it to them as they wanted to cut it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Larry DeMers wrote:My vote for a good sailing movie..to a point, is "Dead Calm". Takes place in the South Pacific, is the first appearance of Nicole Kidman in a major pix, and the guy that makes you jump out of your seats is played perfectly by Billy Zane in one of his first roles. The movie still causes my wife to jump into my lap a few times, even after perhaps 5 viewings.

Larry DeMers
DeLaMer Cd30
Being and Auz flick, they tended to get the sailing as accurate as possible, but had to embelish a bit on the schooner for obvious reasons.

A very riviting film which was a documentary was BOC Kockdow Challenge 1990 - 1991: One Man's challenge Against the Fury of the Ocean . Don McIntyre is an amazing man and this is as close as you can ever get to feeling what a trip like this is about. I don't know if it was ever released on DVD, but you can find VHS on Amazon without a problem and you may find it on Youtube. Don and his wife also spent a year on Antartica in a small shack.

Another film that is on topic of another post is Open Water, where they jump off the sailboat for a swim, but no one remembered to put the lader down.

White Squall and Master and Commander are also good movies.
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

joemerchant wrote:
Shinok wrote:Any guesses on what the boat is in the photograph?
Cal 39.

Three were used in the film and all three destroyed.
How did they manage to destroy 3 boats? Or did they destroy them intentionally (and why?)?