Good book for winter reading

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

johnny of STORK
Taos, NM
San Carlos, Sonora, MX

Re: Good book for winter reading

Post by johnny of STORK »

Joe Myerson wrote:warning, "don't try this at home." --Joe
Ditto for "Ice Bird", by David Lewis. One *tough* crazy guy, trying to singlehand around Antarctica in a small boat.

Johnny
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I just finished In the Heart of the Sea about the Nantucket whaling ship the Essex. It might be more meaningful to those of you on the East Coast, but I liked it.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Post by Ben Coombs »

Dewey Lambdin's series about "Alan Lewrie" is a great read.... they are exciting, which makes them a quick read. Plus there are about 20 of them in the series. A whole winters worth!

It's time to cover the boat here in ME. Might be snow over Thanksgiving, so today is the day. I much prefer looking out the kitchen window at our boat, than at our boat's cover. Time to plan projects....potable water at the sink is top on the list this year!

ben
Ben Coombs
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

"Cruise of the Snark" by Jack London.

I really enjoyed reading his personal account of sailing the South Seas back when sailors had to be tough, 1911.

He was one determined sailor and a most gifted writer.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

rtbates wrote:"Cruise of the Snark" by Jack London.

I really enjoyed reading his personal account of sailing the South Seas back when sailors had to be tough, 1911.

He was one determined sailor and a most gifted writer.
Gee! I thought I was tough when I descended into the Port Cockpit Locker to tighten the packing nut. :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Steve, Overboard is tops. Damm good thing you were not allowed to read it before your Bermuda trip...a cautionary tale, for sure.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
pjust

Post by pjust »

I followed Robert's advice and read The Godforsaken Sea, which I very much enjoyed. It made me go on to read Bernard Moitessier's The Long Way. Moitessier is to long-distance solo sailing what Saint-Exupery is to aviation and if you like that sort of lyrical, reflective, almost mystical approach, I think you'll love this book. I know it's already become a favorite to me, and I'm only a quarter of the way through it.

I've also been enjoying the occasional dip in The Rudder Treasury, edited by Tom Davin, which collects articles from The Rudder yachting magazine, starting in the 1890s. The writing style is often arch and dryly amusing, and reminds me of what you might find in the fly fishing literature of the time.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
tom ricks

Post by tom ricks »

Speaking of Jack London, I just read "The Sea Wolf." Not a great book, but a fun read. About hunting seals in the North Pacific.

I won't give away the ending.

Best,
Tom Ricks
steveg

Post by steveg »

I have enjoyed some of the suggest reading as well as, The Pirate Hunter -The True Story of Captain Kidd by Richard Zacks and Sea of Glory- America's Voyage of Discovery The US Exploring Expedition by Nathanial Philbrick.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

It's technically not Winter yet, unless you measure that from the time the cover goes on until the time it comes off.*

That said, I just finished Under the Black Flag and have started Captain James Cook: A Biography. Both acquired locally from the used book section of our local independent bookseller.

*I had a CPA friend who described two seasons a year: Tax Season and Softball Season.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
casampson

Post by casampson »

I remember reading the Mutiny on the Bounty trilogy, by Nordhoff and Hall, and enjoying it very much. The three novels are Mutiny on the Bounty; Men Against the Sea; and Pitcairn's Island.

Then there's always Moby Dick...
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

One of my all time favorites:

The Boat Who Wouldn't Float by Farley Mowat, a very fun read.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Squid

Post by Squid »

Just some books to consider… As one other reader posted this is an excellent read, the real story of Moby Dick

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
by Nathaniel Philbrick

Another book by Philbrick, The discovery of Antarctica and the mapping of the Pacific.
Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery, The U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842
Nathaniel Philbrick (Author)

Always a good read. Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S.
by Ian W. Toll

And great read of part of the largest Naval Battle ever fought.
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour Paperback
by James D. Hornfischer

A book covering England's long War at sea with France… Very good explanation of the major battles…
The Line Upon a Wind: The Great War at Sea, 1793-1815
by Noel Mostert
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Post by Jim1945 »

I was just at Barnes & Noble and skimming the following:

http://www.amazon.com/At-Mercy-Sea-Cari ... Descending

I only read about 15 pages but it was a good read. I may get it.

Update:
I just finished the book and it was pretty good. A lot of the book described what three offshore sailors went through. Finished it in two days so it held my attention. Well written.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow so there is still time for some winter reading.

". . . I believe we are not humans who occasionally have a brief spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a brief human experience."
Glenn Damato from the book "Breaking Seas".

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Seas-ove ... B00A6542M6
http://www.breakingseas.com