How to know when you are heeling 15 degrees?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Adam

Post by Jim Davis »

As an experiment tie a block to the rail and try it. Use a clove hitch on the rail and run the tail down to the quarter cleat real tight. If it does what I think it will do make it permanent and run a reinforcement down to the deck so you don’t lift/shift the rail. Split sheets are the way to go on a mizzen.

For experimentation almost any line will work and you don't need more than one block. If you like it then you will want to get a bit more fancy and probably go with a three part tackle with cam cleats similar to what is used for boom vangs.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Adamhagan

Re: How to know when you are heeling 15 degrees?

Post by Adamhagan »

I am going to give it a shot this weekend, if I get my autopilot working. I had to send the control head back to Raymarine and it required a software upgrade. Tested it in the garage and fired right up.

I prefer figuring out new sail mechanics any day to software gremlins...on my sailboat. BUT, being able to single hand my boat with two little girls aboard is a big plus.
Kind Regards,

Adam