Heat and refrigeration for part time liveaboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

K Chiswell

Re: Heat and refrigeration for part time liveaboard

Post by K Chiswell »

I like the idea of the forced air heater. I do not need to put a hole in my cabin top, it wont take up space, and I think it will be safer for my boys (soon to be 2 and 4). I have been struggling with where to install a bulked heater that they wont get burned at least once.

Russell, what size Espar did you go with? Was installation pretty straight forward? Is it quiet?
Russell

Post by Russell »

K Chiswell wrote:I like the idea of the forced air heater. I do not need to put a hole in my cabin top, it wont take up space, and I think it will be safer for my boys (soon to be 2 and 4). I have been struggling with where to install a bulked heater that they wont get burned at least once.

Russell, what size Espar did you go with? Was installation pretty straight forward? Is it quiet?
I went with the Airtronic D4. Except for the ducting, the install was pretty easy. The ducting was a huge pain in the ass, but doable, there is a lot of deadspace I was able to use that one would otherwise not realize existed until you try to install ducting.

I would call it quiet, you basically hear the fan running which is unavoidable of course. The fuel pump makes a small clicking sound, which I have heard people with these heaters complain about, I can barely hear it and when I do it just sounds like a clock ticking. Outside the boat standing on the dock near the exhaust it is noisy, but I cant imagine someone being bothered by that.

I have not used it in extreme cold, but at 30 degrees outside this thing puts out enough heat running on low to keep it a toasty 75 inside. Above 40 degrees I have to keep a port open to avoid it getting too hot, which I dont mind, keeps the air fresh while still toasty.

I am very happy with it, for a long time I thought of ways to make a bulkhead heater work but the CD36s with the foldown table layout simply do not have a good place to install one that allows you to keep it low in the boat and also having a good spot for the chimney to exit. The power and fuel consumption of the Espar is very low and it heats up the boat very quickly.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

If you are interested on what I have done to my CD 28, I am located in the LaConner Marina, and would love to show you all the goodies I, and the previous owner many years ago, have installed.

I had a Force 10 Diesel bulkhead heater a few years ago, and damn near killed myself with it. Somehow it sooted up the
stack and caused smoke to fill the cabin. I then replaced same with a new Sig bulk head heater that works with propane including two propane gas detectors just in case I have a leak somewhere. The unit will shut off the entire system if it "smells" anything.

As for my frig, I have installed an Adler Barbour system and it works great. I did install a large Beckson plate below the ice
box and stuffed the area around the box with insulation. Due to the fact that the waters up here are filled with logs, etc. especially during high tides, I did not install a keel cooler. I do have four six volt house batteries that will keep me going, even in the hottest days for two days before I need to charge the batteries.

If you are interested in working with a professional that will get you the right parts as well as decent prices on heaters, etc.Try Sure Marine out of Seattle. On the Sig heater, they were 30% cheaper than West Marine, and supplied all materials with one phone call. They are also the only ones that have the holders for the vertical propane tanks that mount on a stanchion

My wife and I usually put between 700-1200 miles on our boat each year which means a lot of days on the water
at approximately 4 knots an hour. As we are in the 70's we do enjoy our comforts, especially ice for our drinks
and a warm boat in the evenings.

Hope this helps
Ken Cave
Dragon Tale
Rebinva

Ken, I also have a 28.

Post by Rebinva »

Would you give a few more specifics on where you installed the Beckson plate and how you insulated the box.

I would love to come look at all your improvements, but it would be a long trip from Va. :>)
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

On a CD 28, there is plenty of room right below the ice box for an 6 inch (or larger) Beckson plate to be installed. For insulation I used regular insulation that one would use on a house project, and just stuffed it all around the box. Do use
gloves to protect yourself from the fiberglass.

As for my heater, a Sig Bulkhead Heater (formally a Force 10 before Dickerson bought them out) uses a two inch hole
for a vent, and a one inch pipe for its exhaust. To circulate the heat around the cabin I installed a fan, and, it works fine.

Espars are great but if used on a regular basis, they must be cleaned at least once a year. They are expensive and noisy when running. If you do install one, be sure you vent it where it will not do damage to the dock or other boats when
tied up to them.

Sorry about the distance. I thought you mentioned that you were living in the Northwest!! Great place to sail, and, sometimes we are able to get out and about all year long!!

Ken Cave

Dragon Tale