The Self-Sufficient Sailor by Larry and Lin Pardey

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

Re: The Self-Sufficient Sailor by Larry and Lin Pardey

Post by Dean Abramson »

I have long heard the discussions re what happens if you are dragging along on your tether. I have little opinion on that part. Sounds like a bad deal, though, for sure.

Marvo and I are tethering on more and more these days. One reason is that we aren't quite as nimble as in days past. I'm not tethering with the idea of what happens if I fall off. I'm doing it to NOT fall off. I try to be on "short scope." If I need to be at the main halyard and it's on the low side, I move forward on the high side, hook on to the vang's bale on the boom, then walk around the front of the mast. This results in a short tether for where I am. I look for ways to be on short scope. Jacklines are great, but there are lots of other things one can hook on to safely also.

I agree with Steve that in many scenarios, even going over the rail will not result in needing to scale the entire freeboard. Probably you'll be on the low side, little freeboard, with the tether over the lifelines. If you were hooked on to the windward jackline, you might wind up at about deck level. You might be bruised, but you could probably scramble back over okay.

I used to hardly ever hook on. But now, if it's blowing 15 or more, I do. The feeling of security I have working at the mast or on the foredeck when it's blowing is tremendous compared to how tensed I was in the old days. And now I have two good hands to work with. I am more patient, and take the times do do things right while I'm there, not scurry back to safety and tell myself, "I can coil that halyard later." Later, if you start the engine and the prop eats that loose halyard, it will not enhance your boating pleasure. Especially if you just decided that since it's still honking, maybe I ought to motor away from this lee shore.

I idolize the Pardeys. They have been my heroes for years. But I think you're better off hooked on in almost any circumstance. But to be honest, in light conditions, sometimes I don't even wear the vest/harness. But the older (wiser?) I get, the more I use the vest/harness and tether. If it's really honking, I am even tethered at the wheel. If you route it under/thru the sheet winch pedestal on the high side, then to your cockpit padeye, the scope is quite short.

In general, I like to clip on as far forward as the task will allow, and be on as short a scope as possible, preferably hooked on to the high side. Peace of mind rules!

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine