porthole cleaning?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: porthole cleaning?

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Neil Gordon wrote:Polishing bronze is a project best suited for the next owner.
Sadly, or joyfully, I am "the next owner". :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
bottomscraper

lemons and salt

Post by bottomscraper »

lemons and salt

add Tequila put on some Jimmy Buffet and forget about all that polishing stuff.

(the last time I got Tequila past my lips was about 35 years ago, after drinking most of a bottle on a beach in Ensenada I got so sick that I can't even get it up to my nose without gagging)

I will stick with Rum!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I used to love to buff brass on a wheel and still so sometimes. As far as boat bronze is concerned I think it was meant to have a patina. The only items I do polish on Raven are her bell and builder's plate. These can both be taken home and buffed on a wheel. I also did all the drawer pulls at one time but have pretty much given up on them. Once polished I have tried lacquer and it never seems to hold up for a season. It might be my prep but it tends to peel and look worse than nothing at all. Then there is the added work of getting it off the next time you polish. Now I just wax the parts and they age much more gracefully.

If you just want to clean things up a bit and blend the patina, a Scotch Brite pad works very well. You could apply wax or Penetrol to slow further oxidation.

I have enough trouble keeping up with general maintenance, upgrades, the stainless and bright work that I would never consider polishing bronze, Steve.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I don't polish Bronze. I polished too much Brass while in the Army. I can't imagine a shiny Liberty Bell or Statue of Liberty. Varnishing and waxing seem to take too much time as it is.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27