Cockpit lock lid rattle and shake

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Re: Cockpit lock lid rattle and shake

Post by Noel Heslop »

Great discussion.
I have the same problem (issue) as much vibration noise from my locker lids while under motor.
After a few whiskies for medicinal purposes (flu) I will now follow this discussion.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I agree with Noel. This is an old topic, but this thread is most informative.
My locker lids rattle so badly when I'm under power that I think I might flip my own lid :)

And, since I know that water leaks into my port cockpit locker, I'm going to try the weather-stripping trick.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

tjr818 wrote:
cguthrie wrote: I'm trying to guess how you measured the gap from underneath.
When the wind slams the lid down on your fingers, all you have to do is measure the distance between the two scars on your little finger. Mine was 3/8". I used neoprene padding on top of the wood blocks that are near the hinges. I am looking for some sort of "U" shaped weather stripping that will fit over the opening and press tightly against the lid. I am sure such a thing exists, I just haven found it yet. McMaster-Carr, perhaps? :?
Please forgive me, but I'm at work and sitting here at my desk LMAO, coworkers are wondering what's wrong with me (again)! Hell, it's late on Friday afternoon, I need a good laugh!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide