Upwind sailing questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Upwind sailing questions continued

Post by tjr818 »

I am having a problem tacking in light winds. :? I can get the boat to cast through the tack, but there is not enough wind to blow the big 155 genoa over to the opposite side. My jib sheets end up laying on top of the life lines and that make t hard to pull the clew over. Often when I do pull to clew over one of the bowlines that hold the sheets on will catch on the forward shroud. Any hints or better methods out there :?:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
NateHanson

Re: Upwind sailing questions continued

Post by NateHanson »

tjr818 wrote:I am having a problem tacking in light winds. :? I can get the boat to cast through the tack, but there is not enough wind to blow the big 155 genoa over to the opposite side. My jib sheets end up laying on top of the life lines and that make t hard to pull the clew over. Often when I do pull to clew over one of the bowlines that hold the sheets on will catch on the forward shroud. Any hints or better methods out there :?:
You could try tying longer bowlines at the clew. Sometimes that helps them slip around the rigging better. Or, if you don't often switch head-sails, use one long genoa sheet, with the middle of it attached to the clew with a larks-head/cow-hitch knot. (insert bight through clew eye, then pull both sheet ends through the loop.)

Nate