Way overdue project photos - typhoon #108

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Re: Way overdue project photos - typhoon #108

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Nice job with the boat and the fireplace! I'm here for work- actually awaiting an airlift home from a deployment so no boat here- it's at home in FL. I hope it's still floating since I haven't seen it in a while!
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Question on your photos:

I am interested in possibly stripping down my Typhoon in the future, and doing a thorough sanding prep and resurfacing of deck, and insides, and hull.

To that effect, how did you situated your vessel in the first photo that it does not have anything securing it on the side of the hull?

And, in your removal of the toe and rub rail, what sort of adhesive did you put into the screw holes when you re-put the teak?

Thanks! Hope you see this soon LOL.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
grajmahal

Post by grajmahal »

Make sure you plan on spending a LOT of time on that project - it is more time consuming that I had originally thought.

To support the boat, I added a couple of risers on each side of the trailer (it had been a speedboat trailer, so it was very low and flat). I made them removable by welding collars onto the trailer into which the supports slide. A single bolt holds each one in place. When I got to that area of the hull, I could just loosen the bolt, let that support down, and work on the exposed hull. Three supports were enough, in that most of the weight actually sits on the keel.

As for the keel area, I planned to modify the trailer anyway, so I worked the accessible areas first, and then added rollers to those areas and cut the original rollers away. The key to doing any of this is to have the roller assemblies bolt onto the trailer instead of welding them on. That way you can shift the support of the boat from one set of rollers to the other, which gives you access to all of the areas of the keel bottom that you need.

I also found that, in order to work on the bottom (and because I could not turn the boat upside down) , it helped a great deal to jack the trailer up and put it on jackstands. This gained me a couple of feet of working room under the boat so that I didn't have to work on my knees or on my back. You still have to do overhead sanding and grinding, but it is less painful this way.

Good luck! This process is a gigantic pain in the A$$. Fortunately, I am nearing completion on the project, doing the fun stuff (wood and hardware and paint) instead of the stuff that makes your arms itch for a week.

John
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Wow John, that sounds like self-induced torture! I don't have such a work-space, otherwise, I'd approach the project. I really want to do the prep myself so that I know what my hull looks like. But I may not get this opportunity, alas.

Good on ya for all that work. Famously brilliant.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
NYClipper171

Post by NYClipper171 »

Thanks for the great information. Do You have anymore on the rudder work. Any additional pictures of the rudder phase of your restoration. How was the gudgeon attached to the hull? What condition was the gudgeon in?