New message board software coming soon.....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Robert, I am one step ahead of you now, as I haven't really learned how to post photos with the current software. I haven't even begun the search for a cute helper. Well in fact I might already be there with Liz if I were to ask her about posting pics. So now I am way ahead of ya.

I have posted a couple of photos in the distant past but always found it very cumbersome. Decreasing the steps involved in posting pictures may well be one of the greatest advancements to this board since the invention of wheel steering, Steve.
John Danicic

Birthdays?

Post by John Danicic »

The new board is going to post "Birthdays" in the board index section?

Are we participants going into competition about our ages as well as number of posts?

Maybe we should change that to "Boat birthdays". Celebrate the day each model of Cape Dory first came off the production line. Any one have that information? If not, we could always make it up.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
John Ring

Re: New message board software coming soon.....

Post by John Ring »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:... our users who were so accustomed to the old board and resistant to change...
Resistant to change? Really? This bunch of old curmudgeons who favor short masts, long keels, bronze castings, and lots of teak?

Yeah, I guess you've got a point there.

John :)
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

thank you Cathy
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Thank you, and fixed AVG warnings, too

Post by Duncan »

Thanks very much for the updates.

AVG warnings fixed, thanks

I was happy to see that the annoying AVG warnings didn't happen when I followed the link to the new board test site. Interestingly enough, I'm not getting them on the "old" board now either.

Could we have increased storage for private messages?

Do you think it would be possible to increase the quotas for private message space? Storage is a lot cheaper these days, and it would be nice not to have to delete old messages to make room for new ones.

Thanks again, nice work!
Russell

Re: Thank you, and fixed AVG warnings, too

Post by Russell »

Duncan wrote:Thanks very much for the updates.

AVG warnings fixed, thanks

I was happy to see that the annoying AVG warnings didn't happen when I followed the link to the new board test site. Interestingly enough, I'm not getting them on the "old" board now either.

Do you think it would be possible to increase the quotas for private message space? Storage is a lot cheaper these days, and it would be nice not to have to delete old messages to make room for new ones.

Thanks again, nice work!
I second the request for more storage! Often one wants to be able to go read old messages even from years and years ago to reference something someone sent you. I have to go in and delete messages every 6 months or so to make room though. We are just talking text stored in the DB, you could probably easily quadruple(or more) allowed space and not even notice a dent in server storage used.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Can still include images the old way using BBCode

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
bobdugan wrote:In addition to a more secure version of the board, you'll now have the ability (finally) to post images directly to the board instead of indirectly through sites like picassa and photobucket.
I know you guys worked really hard on this. Like all others who frequent this board, I sincerely thank you for the efforts.

However, I am just in the process of beginning to learn how to post photos to this board using Google Photo or similar. I am "computer challenged" to be polite. My instructor, sadly, is not a blonde college co-ed computer geek student. Instead, I am working with an old salty seadog. :wink:

Now the "photo uploading" process is apparently changing before I even start to learn the old process.

Relying on the anticipated sound advise from Cathy, Bob and Ray, my question is should I wait to learn how to post photos until the new message board is operational :?: These are the questions I lay awake at night thinking about and worrying about. :D
Don't worry Sea Hunt, you'll still be able to do it the old way. It's the only way to "point" to an image that's already out there on the WWW. The new way allows you to "attach" your own images without having to upload them to your own web site or to a photo service first. So yes, you should still learn how to do it the old way.

-Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Link to new "Test" board: http://www.capedory.org/board3/index.php
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

A week to play and comment on the new board.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

You've got about a week to play around with the new message board at:

http://www.capedory.org/board3/index.php

Let us know if you find anything glaringly wrong so we can fix it before we go live.

Thanks,
CDSOA Web Team
Cathy, Bob & Ray
webmaster@capedory.org
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
ronkberg

I tried the new system but had some problems

Post by ronkberg »

Look in the sandbox and see that the fonts did not work and I could not attach a photo.

Got this message "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB." so must be mine's too big!

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
bobdugan

Re: I tried the new system but had some problems

Post by bobdugan »

ronkberg wrote:Look in the sandbox and see that the fonts did not work and I could not attach a photo.

Got this message "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB." so must be mine's too big!

Ron
Ron,

Yep images are limited to 256KiB for now... but we might change that.. we have a lot of storage space on the server.

See my post reply on the new board in the sandbox... my use of BBcodes worked just fine. I wonder why you are having problems. I wonder if this is because I'm an admin or if it's because there's something funky going when you post... did you enter the BBcodes by hand or did you click on the BBcode buttons at the top of the post window?
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
ronkberg

Sorry, my bad....

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Bob, I did not click the box that had been selected to Disable BBCodes.

DUH :oops:

All fixed now and ready for the new site to come alive.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
J Stevenson

New Message Board

Post by J Stevenson »

Re: Sticky - "It's Time to Renew for 2012"

The download links for the PDF or Word docs. are not live.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: A week to play and comment on the new board.....

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:You've got about a week to play around with the new message board at:

Let us know if you find anything glaringly wrong so we can fix it before we go live.

Thanks,
CDSOA Web Team
Cathy, Bob & Ray
webmaster@capedory.org
Cathy, Bob, Ray and all:

Well, OK, as long as you asked. :wink:

I logged on to the new and improved CDSOA website. I noticed that the "quotation" that I had inserted at the bottom of my posts in the current CDSOA website from Captain John Paul Jones and his desire to avoid a ship that does not sail fast because he intends to go in harm's way does not appear in full. Only a portion of it and then there are what appear to be Cyrillic letters at the beginning and end.

While I fully recognize this is a very, very minor concern (and only of concern to me :( ) I would like to avoid trying to figure out how to redo the full quotation - if possible. If I recall correctly, it took me about 2 hours to figure it out the last time. And that was after fortifying myself with a few Guinness. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
bobdugan

Re: A week to play and comment on the new board.....

Post by bobdugan »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
Cathy Monaghan wrote:You've got about a week to play around with the new message board at:

Thanks,
CDSOA Web Team
Cathy, Bob & Ray
webmaster@capedory.org
Cathy, Bob, Ray and all:

Well, OK, as long as you asked. :wink:

I logged on to the new and improved CDSOA website. I noticed that the "quotation" that I had inserted at the bottom of my posts in the current CDSOA website from Captain John Paul Jones and his desire to avoid a ship that does not sail fast because he intends to go in harm's way does not appear in full. Only a portion of it and then there are what appear to be Cyrillic letters at the beginning and end.

While I fully recognize this is a very, very minor concern (and only of concern to me :( ) I would like to avoid trying to figure out how to redo the full quotation - if possible. If I recall correctly, it took me about 2 hours to figure it out the last time. And that was after fortifying myself with a few Guinness. :D
That was a strange problem. One thing we know is that for security reasons HTML is not supported on the new board. That doesn't explain why your double quotes aren't working though. Anyway I edited the signature and it looks ok to me now.

When we do the move to the new board, the signature will reset again so remind me and I'll make the fix again.
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Thank you, and fixed AVG warnings, too

Post by Duncan »

Russell wrote:
Duncan wrote:...
I second the request for more storage!
Bumping this up and hoping for a response from the technical team.
Please?