Sailing Adventure

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Frank the water temp is about 68 degrees...

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bob Ohler wrote:"You know about shrinkage, right?"

LOL
This is why, even in the relatively "bath water warm" waters of South Florida, when waters temps are at or below 75 degrees I wear a drysuit with "woolies". Toasty warm & no "shrinkage". :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Shrinkage

Post by Zeida »

Took me a little while, but I finally "got it" about shrinkage! At first I wondered if it would be the shaft that shrunk... and then... :)
no wonder Sea Hunt wears "woolies". :D Am I out of order here?
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Recent experience.

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I have owned my boat for 18 years and been lucky enough to never have caught a line in my prop. On my way to Cape Breton, NS this summer the wind went light so we started the motor and an hour or so later there was a great vibration and slowing of the engine. I put the engine in neutral and then reverse for a second. No luck, still lots of vibration. My first solution was to shut off the engine and check out the engine compartment. With the engine in neutral I turned the prop shaft by hand and could feel some sort of uneven operation. What a bummer. The water was calm enough for a dive, but it was very cold. So cold that I could not breathe. The boys snuggled in close that afternoon. Luckily a crew member had rigged a line from stanchion to stanchion that draped about 2.5 feet above the water. I hauled myself out of the water long enough to breathe and then was able to dive and remove a wad of about 30 feet of 3/4 poly line off of the prop. Luckily it was reasonably easy to get free since, unlike a sheet, there was no tightening action.

One note of caution. I dove on the prop a few years ago to scrape barnacles. While I was coming back up for air a wake happened along and sent the boat pitching up and down a bit. Even with a minor amount of motion the boat clobbered me in the head hard enough that I was seeing stars and living with a nasty headache for quite a while. I would NEVER recommend diving to clear the prop in any kind of wave action. It is just too dangerous.

Matt
Bob Ohler

It's an old line from Seinfeld

Post by Bob Ohler »

I figured some of you may remember this one from the old Seinfeld show.

Have a great day!

rbo
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Zeida,

You would have to cross a really distant, perhaps even nonexistent, line for us to bang a gavel and proclaim you "out of line" :wink:
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Shrinkage

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Zeida wrote: Am I out of order here?
Although Frank V. started this thread, I must respectfully disagree with his conclusion that "Ms. Zeida" did not cross the line nor was "out of order".

Zeida was (and is ) way out of order. :D :D :D

On a more somber note, and as Zeida can confirm, it has been raining non-stop 24/7 for the past 6 days in South Florida. :cry: :cry: My pool is flooded, the lawn is saturated, I cannot do my daily walk/run, etc. Sitting in a chair drinking Guinness is not the way I envisioned my October 2011 :( .

Frank, I admire your candor at describing your events with a jib sheet wrapped around your prop. During my caretaker status with S/V Tadpole I had many (numerous :?: ) "events" that I was frankly embarrassed to share with this board. One involved a mis-routed jib sheet, a lee shore, a recalcitrant O/B with a clogged fuel jet and a lot of sailboats on public (not club) moorings. :roll: It took me about an hour to sort things out. For me, I quickly learned Rule No. 1 - drop an anchor and get stable.

Matt, although probably rarely necessary for "sailors like us", there are helmets made for cave divers that help to prevent injuries and provide a place to mount lights so you can see what you are looking at/working on.

http://www.quietdiver.com/18/my-cave-di ... elmet.html
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Sea Hunt Video wrote: Although Frank V. started this thread, I must respectfully disagree with his conclusion that "Ms. Zeida" did not cross the line nor was "out of order".
Perhaps, and to not single out a much beloved Board member, I should clarify and broaden my assertion. How about this:

It is very nearly impossible to cross the "Am I out of bounds?" line or "am I out of order?" where sailors are concerned.

Am I wrong here?
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
drb9

This is one time I'm glad I didn't succumb to 2-foot-itis

Post by drb9 »

I haven't fouled my prop yet, but I would imagine I could lift the outboard out of the well and unwind things. Avoiding shrinkage.

:wink:
I set sail in the confident hope of a miracle
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Zeida wrote:Took me a little while, but I finally "got it" about shrinkage ... Am I out of order here?
On the Cape Dory message board, size does not matter.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698