T-Track mounted cleats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

What years are your boats? I suspect that they may have changed the way they fastened the toe rail and Genni Track around 1985.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Steve Laume wrote:Raven has Spartan midship cleats. I am definitely glad they are there but wish the horns were longer. They work fine for one line but not so good if you are trying to get two on there.
I agree on the spartan cleats, they are really beautiful peices of gear, but definately undersized. In order to use a decent sized spring line I have to use a continuous line rather then two, and its still a tight fit.

One thing I keep considering doing is mounting a normal sized bronze cleat just inboard of the toerail cleat and using the toerail cleat as a chock/fairlead for the proper cleat. I am a bit worried about adding a toe stubber to the deck, but CDs have such nice wide sidedecks I dont think it would be an issue. Now the cost of the spartan bronze cleats to match my bow and stern cleats... ouch, thats probably why I havnt done it yet.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bob Brown

Post by Bob Brown »

Spartan is undersized, ouch I was really looking forward to having their inline cleats one day and now I'm just looking. Does anyone know of a larger inline made of bronze?

I went to the boat today to remove ground tackle for inspection. While onboard I looked at the cleats on the track, the base is stainless and the cleats are aluminum. The aluminum is oxidizing and the cleats should be replaced in the near future.

I just opened the Schaefer catalog, their "mid-rail cleat" is a one piece 316 stainless with a SWL of 4500 lbs. These make my aluminum cleats looks inferior. Can anyone comment on any other brands?

Tom my boat is a 1981 hull # 44 now called Barbara Lee. I haven't looked below at the track mounting method but will on next visit. I do know the screws holding the track down are large and frequent.

Thanks,

Bob
gates_cliff

Re: T-Track mounted cleats

Post by gates_cliff »

After experiencing some "interesting" docking this past weekend, I've decided I must install either midship spring cleats or t track cleats. I'm thinking of trying the t tack cleats first, can anyone recommend the size for my CD 27? I guess I could get off my lazy butt and measure the t track myself, but I'm at work and as you can tell I'm slaving away, so the boat is about 20 miles or so from where I sit.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
NateHanson

Re: T-Track mounted cleats

Post by NateHanson »

For those of you who have added "mortised" mid-ship cleats, could you elaborate or post a picture? Do you mean you cut down the toe rail a bit, so you could mount a standard cleat on the rail, but flush with the top of the rail?