Fuel tank cork float repair

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

WaywardWind

Ah please

Post by WaywardWind »

Bad advice (don't bother to take any action to seal the fuel gauge float) was given a Cape Dory owner that specifically would cause harm to his boat, i.e., ruin the fuel gauge sending unit.

Bad advice was given (by a poster who stated bluntly that he wasn't an expert on anything) a Cape Dory owner that specifically said Cape Dory boats are so old and decrepid that a ruined fuel gauge is considered normal.

On the other hand ...

...GOOD advice was given (by me) a Cape Dory owner to help him out, i.e., go to a hobby store and get fuel sealer to put on the cork.

So, which advice -- two bads, or one good -- actually has value to any and all Cape Dory owners?? And, indeed, are Cape Dory boats as a class so old and run down that worthless gauges are normal and accepted?

Is the value of the Cape Dory board to Cape Dory owners that they help each other to keep their fine boats working well ...

... or ...

... to pass around "war stories" about shade tree engineering of fuel floats made from a piece of discarded pine board (said pine board not able to be sealed against fuel intrusion)?

I suggest the right and proper action is to help each other, rather than suggest we wreck our boats "because they are old anyway".