best brush

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Ohler

Europa Corona Badger Brushes!

Post by Bob Ohler »

Russell wrote: A few years ago I decided one of my redtree badger brushes (my 1", the most commonly used) needed replacing. I was in Tortola at the time, so I bought what was available. The brand was Europa. When I finally used it I was shocked at how much better it was then Redtree. Handfeel of the handle was a big part of it, but I sinceerly think the brush was better as well. When I sailed back to the states last year I was pleasently suprised to find this Europa brand is carried by west marine now.

I have tried them all, hardware stores, marine stores, foam, sythetic, natural. If you are willing to clean your brushes when done, Europa badger hair brushes are the best there is and an absolute pleasure to use.
I am just getting around to posting a report concerning bristle vs. foam brushes. We used Europa Corona brushes for the first time last weekend to apply Cetol Natural finish. What an experience! I spent the last 20 years using foam, Jen Brand when I could get them, but nothing can compare to using the Europa 1" brushes on the toe rails. We did not have one drip the entire day. I cleaned them with acetone and wrapped them neatly in a paper towel until next time. I then promptly ordered a couple more to use for the Cetol Clear Gloss. "Stongly recommended." Keep a a couple of 1" foam for quick touch-ups. Use bagder bristle on the rest of your Cetol work.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
John Vigor

Keep them oiled

Post by John Vigor »

Bob, I'm glad your Europa brushes gave you so much pleasure to use. One little tip though: if you clean them with acetone, you should soak them in kerosene or diesel fuel before putting them away in aluminum foil. The oil keeps the hairs soft and pliable, and without it the dried-out hairs will tend to stiffen and deteriorate prematurely.

Acetone is quite harsh and removes much of the brush's natural oils. Many professional varnishers keep their good brushes suspended in kero or diesel when they're not in use, and give them a quick wash in paint thinner before using them again.
One round-the-worlder I knew dipped his good brushes in new motor oil after cleaning them with acetone, and wrapped them in aluminum foil for storage.

John V.
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Sounds like wise advice John.
Thanks.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Creme rise for brushes!

One of the joys of applying a finish is the feel of the brush. A dowel handled foam pad just doesn't feel good in your hand or against the wood you are lavishing your your time upon.

Glad to hear you found such joy in your work and the brush you are using, Steve.