Sunglasses

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary H

Colors

Post by Gary H »

I find that the Costa del Mar vermillion gives the best definition in sunlight and the amber provides the best contrast in cloudy conditions. I have a pair of Costa del Mar with interchangable lenses. I use the vermillion for sailing and the amber for skiing.
Doug Pearce

Sunglasses

Post by Doug Pearce »

I don't know how much this will help. I looked into this a few years ago and this is what I took away from it. The most important thing is that the glasses block 100% of the UV light which can do all sorts of bad things to your eyes including accelerate the development of cataracts. The wavelength for UVB is about 290 - 315 nm and for UVA about 316 - 380nm. If the label says blocks 100% of UV light you should be good. Some glasses are labeled UV400 (blocks up to 400nm) which is supposedly the best? Regarding the lens colors; grey and green lenses give you the most natural looking colors. Amber and yellow lens are best in hazy and low light conditions. They improve contrast but distort color. Finally, for we sailors, I would think that polarized would be best. I hope this helps. Doug Pearce (formally known as Hypobaric) As a newby, I had to get the hang of this!
SPIBob

cheap sunglasses

Post by SPIBob »

Doug is right on the money, UV protection is the most important criterion for evaluating/rating sunglasses. Not only does UV light increase the risk of cataracts, it does to the retina pretty much what it does to the skin. In a word, damage. It contributes to one of the most common types of vision loss, macular degeneration.

Sunglasses that lower visible light but don't block UV rays are worse than no sunglasses at all. The reduced visible light will cause the pupil to dilate and let in MORE of the unblocked UV rays, increasing damage to the eye.

How can we make sure that our sunglasses block 100% of UV rays? A nice looking pair near a convenience store check-out might have a decal that says "100% UV Protection". Maybe, maybe not. At best, it's a gamble.

The best way I know of to get sunglasses that will provide 100% UV protection is to stay with nationally known, established brands. They have a reputation to protect in case Practical Sailor or some other independent lab tests their lenses. Not so sure about the cheapies on display at the convenience store.

I agree with Jeff that vision is no place to scrimp. Some great brands have already been mentioned. Let me add Kaenon to that list. I have a couple of pairs and they are of the highest quality.

I know that ZZ Top sings the praises of cheap sunglasses, but I'm putting some serious thought and some serious cash into mine. And then hanging on to them for years and years.