Setting the main singlehanded

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Given the sea room, I heave to

Post by Warren S »

I'm sure this will seem like a lot of work to some, but putting up 1/3 of the jenny and heaving to gives me all the time in the world to raise the main regardless of how hard it's blowing. I use a safety harness when it's particularly fresh out there.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Given the sea room, I heave to

Post by Joe Myerson »

Warren S wrote:I'm sure this will seem like a lot of work to some, but putting up 1/3 of the jenny and heaving to gives me all the time in the world to raise the main regardless of how hard it's blowing. I use a safety harness when it's particularly fresh out there.
Warren,

I heave-to whenever I reef my main, but I never thought about doing it to raise the main in the first place. Unfurling the genny first seems kind of counter-intuitive at first, but it makes sense.

Thanks for the tip,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

I completely agree Joe

Post by Warren S »

When I have crew to keep her headed into the wind under power (she just falls off too easily when locking the tiller), I always raise the main first.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
versine

Post by versine »

Good evening,

Thank you very much for the informations.

Yes, I am already proposed a post on this subject, but you give to me news interessant ideas ...

Best Regards

Jacques