Calling all Tyhoon Open Cockpit Owners

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

Lovely, just lovely

Post by mike ritenour »

Fortunately "Dorothy" isn't as bad as your first pic, but she is no where near your after.

Now I've got a mark to aim for!

Thankfully I too have the CD motor mount! Life is good.

Thanks for the pics.

Rit
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Proud new owner of Typhoon G, Hull 55

Post by trapper »

Hi All,

I just got in from Atlanta where I purchased a sad Typhoon G, with a very nice trailer. She actually looks worse than Jim's before pics. She is sailable right now but she looks bad and her cockpit sole will have to be addressed soon--addressed as in replaced!

We just went over all of the paper work and based on her HIN#, she is a 1977 model and she is hull #55. Ron, I am curious how your 1978 model has a lower hull number?

Jim, your pics are beautiful. Do you have more? What about work in progress?

Mike, do you have pics?

OJ, I am going to need a lot of help. My dear husband is not happy that I have purchased another boat, let alone, another project.

I am going to splash her next week and loan her to the club for sail camp and I will sail her a few times before I put her up to work on the refit.

I love this boat already. My fleet is complete. I now care for Saga Blue, 25D, a CD10 "Crackers", and now a Ty model G "Sea Howl"--I still miss QT, a beautiful CD22. I intend to stay married, so no more boats for me!

I
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Way to go, Trapper

Post by Joe Myerson »

Fran,

Congratulations on a new Cape Dory adoptee!

You're accumulating an impressive fleet!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
OveRCs

1975 Hull number 24

Post by OveRCs »

Trapper, I just corrected the typo in my earlier post. Hull no. 24 is a 1975 model.

Congrats on your purchase. I downloaded the pics of your boat when I first saw the posting. You didn't mull that one over too long -- only way to do it when you know just what you want.

"Faith" has just cleared customs here in Bermuda late Friday, and I should have her hauled from the docks in Hamilton to Spar Yard on the west end tomorrow -- memorial day. She is sitting shrink wrapped in a secure area, so tomorrow will be my first time seeing her in person. I am so excited I don't think I can sleep tonight!

I will make a post for her once she is splashed -- within the week.
Ron Campbell, Sandys Bermuda
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Daysailer

Post by trapper »

Thanks Joe. Ron, I can't wait to see your pics. I am taking my little boat to the lake today.
Jim Buck

RE: Geez!

Post by Jim Buck »

Congratulations Trapper! Really nice to hear that someone will be caring for another "G" model. I too had to correct an earlier post. The PO sold my "G" model as a '75 but in fact Hull #49 is a '76 as confirmed by the HIN. I posted her splashing last Sunday here:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=26816
Jim Buck
Member #1004
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

WOW!

Post by trapper »

Jim,

That is a beautiful boat. Mine is really a project.

I have a 25D that looked very bad when I purchased her but she cleaned up nicely. I am afraid the Ty will require more than a good scrubbing. The seats and tiller are fine. The rub rail and toe rail will have to be replaced. The cockpit sole is a mess. It will take time. You have a real gem.
Jim Buck

RE: Source for toe and rub rail teak

Post by Jim Buck »

Trapper,

FWIW, I'm in the process of replacing the rails on my 22D and purchased the material from Yukon Lumber in Virginia. They were very reasonably priced and a pleasure to deal with. I provided them with the profiles I needed and they machined the rails to my requirements then shipped them carefully packaged. I have no affiliation with this company.

Best wishes to you with your new CD!

Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Va

Post by trapper »

Thanks Jim. IT looks like I have to make a trip from SC to DC next month and I am going to try to line up my teak before I go. Thanks for the contact.
Jim Buck

Cover for an open Ty

Post by Jim Buck »

I received the cockpit cover from the Sailor's Tailor a few weeks back and just wanted to let the open Ty people what a wonderful job they did. Really top quality work by a small family business. Bob spent a lot of time with me on the phone and followed the half pattern I provided. It fits very well and I would highly recommend their work. They now have a picture of my Ty with their cover on their website :

http://www.sailorstailor.com/proddetail ... =CD1901COS

BTW: She is dream to sail! (No muss, no fuss with the self-tending jib.)
Jim Buck
Member #1004