Yanmar - Gear Position While Sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Maine Sail

Re: Yanmar - Gear Position While Sailing

Post by Maine Sail »

Dalton wrote:
Maine Sail wrote:internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result.

Perhaps this is for Sail drive units only?

GEAR or Sail Drive. Sail drives still have a gear box and I know the model 40 & 50 use cone clutches same as the standard Kanzaki gear boxes.

1) Yes, it mentions sail drives but it also says GEAR, as in gear box. The second mention of sail drives is in reference to another TSB bulletin.

2) Yanmar chose their words very carefully. They did not use words like "suggests", "may" or "might" they use and chose words like "requires", "must" and "will" these words are never chosen lightly in the world of manufacturing.

I think the key wording is as follows:

"Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS: All Sailboat Engines"

They are very clear that this applies to ALL MODELS and ALL SAILBOAT Engines, not just sail drive equipped models.

"Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result."
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

I'm with Randy

Post by Joe Myerson »

Like Randy, I've been sailing with my 1GM in reverse for five years now. And, the previous owner left instructions for me to do so (he sailed the boat for 10 years).

I'm also going to be near the boat this weekend, and I'll see if I can find the wording in the manual.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

According to the rep I spoke with this applies to all the Kanzaki's old and new. Lots sail with them in revers and have no issues and apparently lots do have issues, hence the rather boldly worded warning from Yanmar..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

In a recent ruling, the US Supreme Court ruled that companies have the same rights as individuals.

Individuals have an opinion so therefore, Yanmar has stated its opinion on the contentious lock vs. freewheeling issue.

Question Authority and....

Sail on

John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior - The Apostle Islands
CDSOA # 655
John Vigor

Yanmar's problem

Post by John Vigor »

Yanmar has obviously never noticed that a helicopter falls quicker if its prop is locked than if its prop is allowed to rotate freely while freefalling.

John V.
mgphl52

Re: Yanmar's problem

Post by mgphl52 »

John Vigor wrote:Yanmar has obviously never noticed that a helicopter falls quicker if its prop is locked than if its prop is allowed to rotate freely while freefalling.

John V.
Maybe they're just very cognizant of the difference in viscosity between air and water... :roll:
OR, they just might know the gory details of their transmissions... :?:

-michael (no longer foot-loose, can't afford new main :cry: but still free-wheeling our "new" Yanmar!)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
rtbates

mainsail

Post by rtbates »

Maine Sail wrote:
rtbates wrote:great info, BUT my 1GM has been in reverse while sailing since '84 w/o any problem. The manual for my 1GM calls for reverse. I'm not changing...Thanks for getting the up to date info from Yanmar. It would be nice if Yanmar made their mind up...
Can you do me a favor and either take a photo of that Yanmar wording or scan the manual to .PDF and send it to me?

I have a guy on another forum in a warranty dispute with Yanmar who would love for his attorney to see that wording.
Mainsail:

I found the wording, BUT it's in my 25D Owner's Manual, not my Yanmar manual.

For what it's worth.

Section 3.7: "When the engine is not in operation the transmission must be kept in reverse. Some tranmission overheat if allowed to free-wheel".

There was so much wind this past weekend that I forgot all about getting my Yanmar Manual when I got to the marina. I did have a heck of a sail. Hull speed plus with ONLY my 130% reefed to 100%...Funny how a full keel 19.1 foot waterline vessel can go 6.5kts per GPS...No current, etc (I'm on a lake).
Randy 25D Seraph #161