CD 30 Ketch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Klem

Post by Klem »

I think that the best thing to do would be to first define how you plan on using the boat and then get a power requirement out of that. For many people, the engine in the boat would be plenty and for others, they would want more power. If you live in an area where you don't have to deal with lots of current and don't need to motor into very strong winds, the engine is probably plenty. However, if you need to push into a 4 knot current regardless of what the wind is, it won't be enough every day.

On a lot of the boats I have sailed, I have never really worried about power because the boats had good anchoring gear, good storm sails, and I wasn't in places where powering into it was particularly necessary. For that matter, I sailed in quite a lot of conditions with only a set of sweep oars to get me around when it was calm. Now, I really do like having an engine even though I hate using it. For me, the engine's role doesn't require it to be very powerful.

So how do you use boats and what is your power need?
kmulligan

cost of repower

Post by kmulligan »

The 18 hp Yanmar was $5,600 in 2001, purchased from Mastry Marine in St. Ptersburg. The installation with built up motor mounts, dripless shaft seal, new shaft, prop & muffler brought it up to about $9k. Best of luck.
Kevin Mulligan
CD 28 "Skibbereen"
Crystal River, Fl.
Jim Lewis

Sailboat

Post by Jim Lewis »

The volvo has always had enough power for my vessel....but I have a sailboat, and sail is what I do.....those who have schedules to meet might be better served with a powerboat......the volvo will hold with 50+ knots on nose and 2 sec. between 8 ft seas....until
it overheats from uncovered water intake.....then if correct anchor, that will hold and the volvo will then restart and take about 30 minutes to get to where can free anchor... then turn around and try again another day.....the cape dory ketch will heave to without need for an engine......good luck with your shopping.....maybe after 25 yrs I should sell mine and go RV ing.....
Jim Lewis
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Jim, Maybe you know something I don't... but I cannot imagine how one could sail an RV... :roll: :roll: :roll:

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Lewis

Beta Marine

Post by Jim Lewis »

Repowers with new Kubuto w/v drive for around 14k that includes cold plate.....
Jim Lewis
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Jim,
Is that a Kubuto engine or a Vetus ? I know Vetus uses a Kubuto block for their diesels.
________
Xvs1100
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Thomas

Kubota

Post by Ben Thomas »

The Beta's are using the Kubota blocks, I have one (20) in mine with the v-drive.

The Beta model # for the 20 is a BD-722 take the B away and you have the Kubota block # D-722.
Feel free to PM me for more information on the Betas and the Stringers I have for the Betas replacing a Volvo MD7A with the Walters v-drive.
Ben
Oregon Marine Industries
Beta dealer
Jim Lewis

Beta info

Post by Jim Lewis »

I saw the setup at the Morehead City boat show I think last year, the system looked good..... I think was 18 hp.....the only drawback I saw was the waterpump would have to be accessed thru the cockpit lockers....you would have to go down in there to work on it.
Not sure if a bearing or bushing water pump, I just switched a couple years ago to a bearing pump and was told I would not have to fool with it as long as volvo lasted.....course that is to be seen...
but so far no issues with the bearing pump.....I am going to use the md7a until it dies and then would probably repower with this set up, unless something better is out there.....I have all the data on the boat, not with me at this time.....I believe the dealer I spoke with at the boat show was in Oriental or Minnesota beach...

Keep me in the loop for repowering.....one day we all will have to do that.....unless we get lucky and find a great unused md7a.....
Jim Lewis