Eco-friendly bottom paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Chilled I-20

Post by S/V Necessity »

Troy,
You are killing me here... What's the story? I'm guessing it was a proposed scheme to limit the movement of some sort of invasive pest. Or were to many reptiles sunning themselves on the highway?? Inquiring minds want to know :)
John Danicic

Re: chilled water for my slip?

Post by John Danicic »

Troy Scott wrote:John,

Now you've got me thinking of a way to chill the water in my slip. (not really....). But seriously, there was a time when chilling parts of Interstate 20 through Mississippi was seriously considered. That's another story, and not a particularly green one.
We think about warming highways up here. 10 degrees tonight with snow. Time to hibernate.

Sail on

John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior - The Apostle Islands
CDSOA # 655
Troy Scott

the rest of the story

Post by Troy Scott »

Interstate 20, west of Jackson, Mississippi is built on a strange, constantly moving mass of "yazoo clay". Despite constant resurfacing, the highway develops "waves" that can make driving way too interesting. This is also a problem for the foundations of buildings. Back in the 70s, a possible solution was studied by professors and graduate students in the engineering school at Mississippi State University. The proposed solution involved "chilling" miles of the roadbed to "stabilize" the clay. I don't know many details of the plan; I just know some of the folks involved. As far as I know this was never done in a big way.
Regards,
Troy Scott