Trailer advice for a 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

craig

trailering a cd 27

Post by craig »

i just trailered our new to us cd 27 from miami florida to western montana. your truck and trailer need to be up to the task. look in your owners manual and see what the maximum trailer weight for your tow vehicle is. a diesel in a 3/4 or 1 ton is the best solution. make sure your cooling system and transmission are serviced. we bought a triad trailer made specifically for the cd 27. the boat went on the trailer without any problems. make sure the tires on your trailer are rated for the combined weight of the trailer, boat, and misc. gear, plus a safety factor. on the advice of others we used an equalizer hitch with the sway controller. without the equalizer hitch you will be at or exceed the tongue weight of most receiver hitches. electric brakes are nice because you can adjust them from the cab. you can also activate the trailer brakes independently of the truck brakes. an additional driver and companion was a necessity for me. don't expect to make great time. 60 or 65 mph is plenty fast.
get an early start each day and quit at dark. check your tires and rig at each gas or rest stop. good luck. its great having your boat at home.
please contact me if you have more questions. craig
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Post by Sandy D. »

Hey Craig,

I have been interested in trailering my 27 since I got her. If you don't mind a few quick questions.......

Does your trailer have pads or bunks,( wondered if you self launch or use a lift) and how much is a Triad trailer going for these days?

Any idea what your trailer/boat weight was? What year is your 27? Thanks.........happy turkey day!

-Sandy
craig

cd 27 trailer

Post by craig »

sandy
our boat is a 1980. i haven't weighed the boat/trailer combination but i know the trailer weighs about 1800lbs. we have the screw type pads. there is a float off trailer available but it is more expensive. you can email mike at triad for a quote on a trailer. ours was about $6800 with a few options. the poppet type pads are nice because you can lower them one at a time to paint the bottom.
craig