Aqua Signal LED nav lights

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

I Should Have Added the following Comment

Post by CruiseAlong »

Certification (new rules invoked in 2003) requires light fixture manufacturer testing with a specific bulb, CG fixture certification, and external labeling on all new boats. Installation, CG certification, labeling, testing by the manufacturer, etc. is not required on boats built before 2003. Nor are installations done by the owners of such older boats. The only very loose requirements remains that they be visible for the NM in accordance with the size of the boat. So many bulb manufacturers have decided to be "after market" bulb suppliers, not original light fixture manufacturers. Certification is a bulb and fixture combination. Not just bulbs alone. We can see what the new regulations have done to the cost of each fixture. For old boat owners such as ourselves, the possible purchase of a replacement series 25 fixture (old design) coupled with an LED is a consideration.
Maine Sail

Troy..

Post by Maine Sail »

My boat also came from the factory with AquaSignal Series 41 nav lamps.

I could not justify the $250.00 more for the Series 43's over the series 32 so installed the 32.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Troy Scott

reconsidering.....

Post by Troy Scott »

Maine Sail,

Well the 32 is probably safer where you have installed it. These lights often serve as expensive and delicate dock bumpers when they are installed in the usual manner.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

roll your own?

Post by Troy Scott »

Those of you who have converted nav lights that were made for incandescent lights: What changes, if any did you make to the original fixture? Did you seal the lamp? I have some silicone sealer made specifically for use on or around electronics. The vapors given off during cure don't adversely affect electronic circuitry or metals. I wonder if I bought new fixtures like the old ones I have already, fit them with new LED lamps, and assemble them using the sealer to make them more like the "sealed, weather-proof" and terribly expensive new LED nav lamps, would I be doing a good, or a stupid thing? Just a thought....
Regards,
Troy Scott
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Sealing Concerns

Post by CruiseAlong »

In adding the LED to the Aqua Signal Series 25 with the Dr LED Polar Star Series 25 LED bulbs...the LED bulbs (electronics) are encased and are sealed therfore do not need modification for plugging into light fixture "clips". One would like the Aqua Signal 25 light fixture seals to be in good condition in ether case, standard bulb or LED.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Sealing Concerns

Post by Carter Brey »

CruiseAlong wrote:In adding the LED to the Aqua Signal Series 25 with the Dr LED Polar Star Series 25 LED bulbs...the LED bulbs (electronics) are encased and are sealed therfore do not need modification for plugging into light fixture "clips". One would like the Aqua Signal 25 light fixture seals to be in good condition in ether case, standard bulb or LED.
Strangely enough, I found when replacing the original AS 25 units that the old ones had rubber gaskets while the new ones did not; that was the only difference between the two.

Needless to say, I retained the gaskets while throwing the old units away.

CB
Troy Scott

Stecktronics

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks, What about this?

http://www.stecktronics.com/start.html

If you jump through the hoops you will find a new Aqua Signal Bi-color Series 41 nav light already converted to LED, for $130. He also has his LED versions of a lot of other models, as well as kits to retrofit your own lights. This would be easy plug and play, and based on my studies, the cost is about right, meaning very little more than I would have to pay for the component parts if I made this myself. i really would like to know what you guys think about this!

Is anybody else making something like this?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Maine Sail

Re: Sealing Concerns

Post by Maine Sail »

CruiseAlong wrote:In adding the LED to the Aqua Signal Series 25 with the Dr LED Polar Star Series 25 LED bulbs...the LED bulbs (electronics) are encased and are sealed therfore do not need modification for plugging into light fixture "clips". One would like the Aqua Signal 25 light fixture seals to be in good condition in ether case, standard bulb or LED.
They would like you to believe they are sealed....

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/at ... 1257270630

P.S.

Troy,

The LED emitter technology that Stecktronics is using are Dinosaurs by today's LED technology standards. That type of emitter is what originally gave LED's a bad rap. Furthermore his bulbs when used in AS fixtures are NOT USCG certified. Only the fixtures he makes, which are two models neither of which uses an AS housing, are the ones certified.
Troy Scott wrote: If you jump through the hoops you will find a new Aqua Signal Bi-color Series 41 nav light already converted to LED, for $130.
But why would you pay $130.00 when you can do the same thing, for a lot less, and still be non USCG certified?:wink:

Series 41 Stern Light $47.99
Marine beam Bulb $34.95
TOTAL $82.94
SAVINGS $47.06

If you want to replace incandescent bulbs with non-cert LED's try the ones sold by Marine Beam.

http://www.marinebeam.com/sumocl.html

I use one for my "back up" anchor light, yes I have two, and the color is decent. It may not represent good color behind a red/green lens but it's only $34.95 and is very, very bright. I don't worry about this one being non-cert as I would only use it in a failure of my other light, which being Dr. LED is quite possible..

My primary anchor light, an AS series 40, uses a Dr. LED PolarStar 40 bulb. Sadly I am far to skeptical on this company to recommend anyone buying from them any more. If you feel comfortable then go for it..

PolarStar 40:
This is the ONLY USCG certified aftermarket LED/Fixture combo:
Marine Beam Bulb:
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Troy Scott

More info: Series 41 vs. Series 40

Post by Troy Scott »

The Stecktronics guy called ME today, because I had requested information online. Among other things, he told me that the Aqua Signal series 40 (not 41) will fit where my Series 41s are, and that the Series 40 is a much better design which can easily be made completely waterproof. OTOH, the Series 41 is very difficult to seal. Based on my subsequent research, he is absolutely right. So, whatever I decide to do, whether it will be a "roll your own", an expensive certified factory original, or a professional retrofit, I have the benefit of this knowledge.
Regards,
Troy Scott
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

VICTORY LED

Post by moctrams »

I bought the Bi-Color LED from Dr. LED and the bulb is too large to fit through the bottom hole. The instructions want you to disassemble the housing. That is a bit too much for me. After some more searching, I came across the VICTORY, SERIES 40 LED, BI-COLOR bulb for $61.52. The bulb is 1-1/4â€