12-Volt Outlet Charging Woes

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

Finally!

Post by Dean Abramson »

Thanks everyone. Here is an update.

I am in business now.

I think the Polarity Contingent had it nailed. I believe that this is what happened: I tried the two chargers in the original outlet, and, immediately, reverse polarity killed them off. When I installed the new outlets, I got the polarity right, but I kept testing them with devices that were already dead and gone! Basically, the problem was fixed as soon as I installed the first of the two replacement outlets. I was just too dumb to realize it. I did not need to move on to the third outlet. Anyway, all is well.

I got a charge out of this discussion.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
M. R. Bober

Re: Good News, sorta

Post by M. R. Bober »

Maine Sail wrote:...

Touch your volt meter leads to a battery and then reverse them and you'll see 12+ volts either way, same with a cigarette lighter.
Actually, my meter--and probably yours--reads -12VDC when the leads are reversed.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we are currently positive,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Maine Sail

Re: Good News, sorta

Post by Maine Sail »

M. R. Bober wrote:
Maine Sail wrote:...

Touch your volt meter leads to a battery and then reverse them and you'll see 12+ volts either way, same with a cigarette lighter.
Actually, my meter--and probably yours--reads -12VDC when the leads are reversed.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we are currently positive,) VA
Exactly!! This is why one lead must go to a separate ground circuit, like the ground buss or battery post, and NOT directly to the ground of the lighter socket.

This way you can confirm if the sockets housing/ground is actually hot or neutral. You could touch the leads to the center-pin and housing all day long, and reverse them all day long, and still get a reading of 12v but still not know polarity.....
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

My meter is an analog meter.

But if I touch the red probe to the housing and the black to the center post, it will NOT read 12V. The needle will try to move to the left, beyond zero.

I get the exact same results whether I test just at the socket, or if I touch the black probe to the engine ground.

I don't claim to understand this. (But in any event, my polarity is correct, and my problem fixed now.)

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Maine Sail

Dean..

Post by Maine Sail »

Some analog meters will read voltage with the probes reversed and some just won't. Most all digital volt meters I've used, and owned, will read it either way. I was assuming you had a DVM not an AVM. Sorry..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles