I might need a CD 36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff Barnes

CD 36

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Chase,
My 36 is a 82 (#68) which I purchased in 1998 and have subsequently done upgrades, refits, etc. I could not be happier with this boat, particularly having owned smaller CDs in the past. Some days I wish the boat would point a little better and have more control when powering in reverse, but other than that she's great. I have a love/hate relationship with my Perkins. Mine does not leak oil...yet. The most common source of Perkins oil leaks is the rear seal so at the very least do not over fill the crankcase which will quickly compromise that seal. My high pressure fuel injector pump failed two years ago but that;s been the only problem. Parts are still easy to get. Newer engines are great (Yanmar)...smaller, quieter, etc. but a major project.

Things to look for in an older 36 are not really any different than they would be in any other CD. If the boat is 20 years old then I would consider replacing the standing rigging and definitely check the steel chain plate backing hardware for rust. Also the wood backing plate on the seacocks can get punky after a while. Stuufing box and cutlass bearing should also be checked. (I finally did me ine last year...not a particularly fun job to replace these on the 36).

Electronics are function of how you will use the boat and where you might cruise. One could upgrade them every year if one desired.

I would also consider a windlass given the anchor and appropriate chain for that boat.

Some pictures if you want some ideas:
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49 ... 0058-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49 ... G_0065.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49 ... G_0059.jpg[/img]
Troy Scott

Jeff's 36

Post by Troy Scott »

Jeff, As I've noted before, your boat looks great! I enjoy and appreciate seeing photos of how my 36 can/will eventually be. A couple questions:

1. What did you do for non-skid?

2. I think I'm seeing original overhead cabin lights and new ABI reading lights, correct?

3. Am I seeing glossy varnish in the cabin?

These may seem like trivial things, but every detail is important in a restoration that must be a compromise between authentic original and the personalization that makes her uniquely mine.
Regards,
Troy Scott
chase

Post by chase »

Jeff, she does look very nice. Renova, sorry to hear about Perkins, hope it is sorted out. Good info about propane config-

Chase
Jeff Barnes

Jeff's 36

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Troy,

The non-skid is a CCP gel coat (Cook Composites & Polymers; 953 Series "ArmorFlex") I used their stock "beige" (NE68) which is as close as I have seen to the original CD color. I sprayed mine with Griptex (course) mixed in before spraying through a wide nozzle on the spray gun. I adjusted the amount of MEKP for a relatively slow cure time. This stuff can be rolled, which requires far less masking, but never comes out quite a snice. I find using gel coat is easier (believe it or not) and safer than spraying a two-part urethane as a nonskid surface.

The overhead lights are the original style, but the reading lamps are indeed ABI. I find them far better looking than the original CD lamps and more reliable.

Interior varnish is Interlux Goldspar #60, otherwise referred to as "rubbed effect varnish" which was the original that Cape Dory used (although it may not have been Interlux) . It's not as shiny as it looks in the photo.

Jeff
Renova

Post by Renova »

Chase - great pics - thanks for posting.

Troy - our engine suddenly showed high oil pressure last spring. We discovered we had high crank case pressure, and started our investigations. The three 'rebuilds' were not all rebuilds, but rather three times the engine came out of the boat, and made it's way to the shop. Mostly due to our incompetent mechanic. Since he warrantied the work, we kept returning it to him to get it right, but after the third visit we ended up bringing it home for the final tinkering. More accurately, it was one rebuild, but took three visits to get it right. We've added an additional breather system which has helped to reduce the pressure within the crankcase, and prevents oil from being pushed out the front or rear seals. Finally, we have a clean bilge!

Almost a year of taking the engine in and out, but we're back up and running, and it has been performing flawlessly since.
Jim Evans

Cabin Sole

Post by Jim Evans »

Russell - I sent you a PM regarding your cabin sole.
Jim Evans
Troy Scott

dimmer?

Post by Troy Scott »

Jeff,

Is that a dimmer I see added to the dome light over the nav station? Have you converted to LEDs?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Troy,

That light is not original, although it matches the original CD style overhead lamps. (I don't believe Cape Dory ever installed a light over the nav station). Specifically, that light has both a red lamp (for night use) and regular lamp in it, the latter being on a dimmer. The entire fixture came that way and I believe I purchased from West Marine. Great light fixture for night use, althuogh I do less paper charting thyan in past thanks to the IBM laptop and Nobeltec software.

I have not converted to LEDs, most of my fixtures (including the one you see) have small halogen bulbs.

Jeff
Troy Scott

nav station lighting

Post by Troy Scott »

Jeff,

My CD36 has a dome light over the nav station as well as a flexible-neck chart light. I'm sure they are boat original. In fact, they are both on the drawings in the manual. The original flexible fixture is a clunker, and I'm replacing it with a new one with red LEDs. In addition to that I'm converting the original dome lights to LEDs, and I'm replacing the original reading lights with new ones by ABI, like those you have except converted to LED.
Regards,
Troy Scott