If You Ain't Run Aground You Ain't Been Around

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Grounding

Post by SeaBelle »

I believe it was my first season both sailing and with my Tanzer 22. It was long before GPS and I was single handing and navigating by sight on a long tack off the Elizabeth Islands when I realized that the 'smoke' that suddenly appeared above the Islands was not a tire fire but fog. I dropped the sails and realized that I was in the middle of thik, pea soup fog and didn't really know where I was. I started the outboard and limped along just close enough to see shore. When the shore seemed to end I convinced myself that I was just past Nashawena I. and just before Cuttyhunk so I hung a left. Soon I was aground on a rocky bottom. As it turned out I wasn't past an island rather I had entered a cove. A local appeared in his skiff and said he had watched me come in and he knew exactly what was going to happen.

He asked for my main halyard, fastened it to his skiff and headed away perpendicular to the centerline. The boat listed, the draft was reduced, and she floated off; then he led me on a zigzag course out of the cove.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
hughesw

Florida 120

Post by hughesw »

Just got back back from doing the 1st Annual Florida 120, from Pirates Cove in Perdido Bay, Al, thru Pensacola Bay to Navarre Beach and back. Racked up 151 nmiles in 5 days.

I have to admit I found the bottom more times than I care to admit, but was able to work my way free without too much effort. That is one good thing about an outboard hung off the stern.

Apart from the groundings, I had a fantastic time. The CD-22 was in her element.

We'll be doing the BEER Cruise in the same waters in 3 weeks.

Cheers,

Warren