Electric Polisher Recommendations?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Shurhold Dual Action Polisher

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am trying to think of things I need to do, or should do, once my new-to-me Cape Dory 25D arrives in Miami - hopefully in a few weeks.

I know I am going to paint the bottom, probably with the same bottom paint I used on S/V Tadpole - SeaHawk Tropikote.

I am also thinking of waxing/polishing the topsides while she is on the hard. I am hopeful this is something I can do - even with my limited skills. I had thought of doing this when I acquired S/V Tadpole. I did not and I regretted it.

I have read all of the posts on this thread (and a few other threads). As usual I am amazed by Maine Sail's depth of knowledge and expertise. I hope to follow most of his suggestions although some of it may be more "expert oriented" than I am qualified to do.

I will need to get some type of polisher. I have been looking at the Shurhold Dual Action Polisher. I saw it featured on one of the cable channel boat show programs and they seemed to rate it very well.

It costs about $150 (that seems expensive to me) but there is a special package price that now includes several extra items - pads, compounds and microfiber towels. It also seems to be geared towards guys like me who are not familiar with polishing sailboats and would like to avoid doing damage. :(

Has anyone used the Shurhold Polisher :?:

Did it perform to your expectations :?:

Does anyone have any anecdotal information on the Shurhold Polisher :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all information, advise, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Shurhold Dual Action Polisher

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I will need to get some type of polisher.
No, you don't. There's nothing the polisher does that you can't do more lovingly (albeit more slowly) by hand.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Maine Sail

Re: Shurhold Dual Action Polisher

Post by Maine Sail »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Sea Hunt Video wrote:I will need to get some type of polisher.
No, you don't. There's nothing the polisher does that you can't do more lovingly (albeit more slowly) by hand.
Sure, if your Superman....:D Most of the good quality polishes and compounds use a diminishing grit and a human will barely get beyond the first real aggressive particle size even when your fresh and strong just after breakfast. Give it a few hours and..well.....

A rotary or DA will break the grits down and do as the product is intended to do. DA polishers do not work nearly as well on gelcoat as they do on paint but with more time and effort you can eventually get to the same place. The Surehold unit I believe is built by Porter Cable, as are the Meguiars units that sometimes sells for slightly less money. Try Autogeek.com and look for the Meguiars DA. The Makita 9227C is the tried true and proven tool for gelcoat but it is more expensive as it is a much more powerful unit..

The Meguiars G100 and Porter Cable 7424 are the same unit but the Meguiars has a lifetime warranty and the Porter Cable a 1 year. There is also the Griot's Garage version too, and it is on-sale at Autogeek for $129.00. I believe it too has a lifetime warranty. Most of these DA's are made by Porter Cable. Check for reman stuff too. Sometimes Tyler Tool has good deals..

This guy was a "beginner" and simply followed the instructions I wrote to a T and he used the Makita 9227C so no need to worry if you follow the instructions.....

-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Another Makita Product

Post by Steve Bryant »

Robert,

FWIW, I have a Makita PV7001C polisher. It is a 7" polisher and around the same price as the 9227C with all of the same features, but it's two pounds lighter and looks like a large drill motor. The lighter weight and smaller size really makes a huge difference when you are compounding an entire boat.

You can use wool bonnets or the hook and loop foam compounding and polishing pads which are much easier to clean.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Too ... spx?ID=400

I've been very pleased with it.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815