Northeast fleet gathering dates?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Big E
Salem, MA

Tall Ships

Post by Big E »

The Tall Ships event may not happen if Mayor Menino gets his way.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Tall Ships

Post by Neil Gordon »

Big E wrote:The Tall Ships event may not happen if Mayor Menino gets his way.
Yeah, the question is whether the city is going to be reimbursed for the police, sanitation and other costs they incur. According to the Boston Globe article, the ships are coming but Menino may ask the Coast Guard to cancel the parade of ships.

Interesting jurisdictional issue here... there's nothing unsafe to navigation that's caused by hundreds of thousands of people littering the shore.

I think this is mostly politics surrounding plans being made to bring the event to Boston without involving the politicians early enough so that they could share in coming up with the idea.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Boston politics

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil,

Actually, Mayor (for Life) Menino was present at the big press conference two years ago when they announced plans for Sail Boston 2009.

Apparently the city expected the state to reimburse it for $1.6 million in police/sanitation costs for the last Sail Boston, but the money never came (surprise!).

Sail Boston is now saying that they will hold the event, only probably for a shorter duration and, perhaps, with fewer participating ships.

Could be a Kabuki dance. Don't hold your breath.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Bob Condon

well I am not sure...

Post by Bob Condon »

We call it politics but Mr Manino will be laying off hundreds of police and fire. I do not think it is unreasonable to be reimbursed but it appears that the Tall Ship Committee is being a bit arrogant saying they will hold the event anyways.

I am not sure what the Tall Ship committee financially gets out of this but sharing is not a bad thing. There was talk about having a "First Night" style button that gave entrance to the boats and maybe some special events as a funding source...

I don't think that Mr. Manino is going to eat it this time. He has had enough trouble with unions and self serving groups where everything is at his expense and this may just be the fight he is willing to take on.

The Tall Ships could goto Salem/Marblehead as an alternative just north of Boston.
Bob Condon