Replacing Stuffing Box Hose

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

I feel your pain. I am about the same stature. When I was down there I was basically down lying face first shoved inside under the cockpit sole. Lying on foam, moving blankets, whatever you have, helps.

If you plan on re-installing the fuel tank give it a good hot water detergent scrub outside and on the bottom of the tank. Look very carefully for corrosion holes that may be close to causing a leak. I found some corrosion that I picked at. It went right into the tank; I could see where the fuel was starting to weep. Look at the wood tank platform for telltale stains where the fuel may be starting to leak.

It is very easy to fix the tank. A little "metal weld" from the auto parts store. You also need a piece of wax paper. Metal weld is basically a fortified 2-part epoxy. Mix it, place it on the hole, wait a few minutes for the epoxy to migrate into the opening then lie the tank down on a piece of wax paper. The epoxy should form a rivet like mold to the hole. The wax paper keeps it from sticking to your surface. It also would not hurt to put some epoxy on the areas that may start to be showing wear. A small layer is all you need.
mattlydon

feet aft

Post by mattlydon »

I've got a 28, so I'm unsure of your layout, but -

I get into the port locker with my feet aft - with them touching the aft end, my torso is just even with the hatch into the engine compartment. It's a drag supporting yourself (god forbid you really need to use both hands in there), but I can get my head and right arm into that area.

Matt
tradewinds780
formerly CD 27, Bolero, St Petersberg, FL

Arranging body cd28

Post by tradewinds780 »

Gates-cliff

I have been in and out of the locker dozens of times in the last couple of weeks getting out the shaft and pump impeller and replacing the cutlass bearing and Stuffing box hose. It was almost impossible working upside down and hands over my head.

Now it's pretty easy.

I got a big pillow from an old sofa and stuck it between the stuffing box and the rudder shaft under the cockpit floor. It needs to be higher than the opening of the side partitions but still leave enough room for your head and shoulder. I also put a folded up tarp on the bottom of the side partition to cushion that ridge. I get into the locker and lie on my back and put my feet forward, outboard and up towards the bottom of the side deck and scootch down (technical term) far enough to get my head thru the opening. I slide in on my back and when I get my waist even with the opening I have just enough room to turn over with my shoulder supported by the pillow, I can use both hands and get pretty good leverage.

I will try to take and post some pictures. It is actually pretty comfortable and I am 5' 11".
rollo_cd26

Re: Requires Contortionist

Post by rollo_cd26 »

gates_cliff wrote:I was at my boat today. Removed the fuel tank, and while there was sitting in the port cockpit locker. Man, that was painful, and I'm not all that big, 5'10" 200 lbs. I can't quite figure out how to rearrange my body so that I could reach down to where the shaft log, coupling, etc is located. How do you guys do it? You must be much thinner than I am, and much more agile, or flexible or something.
I am 6'5" 240lbs, and I replaced my stuffing box packing about two months ago. It took 8 hours of contorted torture. I prepared by taking yoga lessons for a year so I could fold myself in there. I did everything they say to do beforehand, nothing works well. Do a search for "stuffing box" and you can find my pictures. Recovery required copious alcohol and massage. This place on a CD is surely a pocket of hell.
Rollo
jcmacleod

cutlass bearing and shaft log

Post by jcmacleod »

On a cd27 with single cylinder yanmar, lay a small seat cushion over the fiberglass lip at opening of engine compartment at the bottom. This allows you to rest your knees and then slide your upper body over the top of the engine, with some sort of cushioning between your chest and the engine. I always used a folded blanket. Slide your upper body in with arms extended forward. You can reach everything....the coupling , stuffing box and the shaft log.