Around in Ten (footers)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fenixrises

82 and going stronge

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

On my passage to St Helena I heard Alister, the SA Ham Marine net operator talking to Yuri.

Yuri it turns out is a Kiwi on his third try to do a non stop solo circumnavigation. Yuri expressed concern that he may run out of food and be forced to stop before reaching ENZED. His boat is only 30' and he removed the engine to increase storage capacity.

These conversations are taking place while Yuri is sailing east along 40*S towards Oz. He was at about 50* E last I heard him.

By the way Yuri is 82 years old.

Let's face it folks, some people live to tell others what to do. At one time we did what we wanted. That is rapidly fading. In ENZED, OZ, SA and most of Europe you must obtain all manner of licences to sail. Boats must have all manner of gear and qualification certificates.

The Polynesians, Europeans and Phoenechians would not have been allowed to go on their boats and their boats would not be allowed to go to sea if today's beaurecrates had their way

Take care
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
John Vigor

Fast and furious Fred and Fenix

Post by John Vigor »

Fred, are you really in St. Helena already? I can hardly believe it.

How was South Africa? I know you called at Richards Bay. Did you ever get to taste the famous meat pies at Point Yacht Club in Durban? Did you see the tablecloth over Table Mountain from the Royal Cape Yacht Club? I hope they were nice to you.

How did the Cape of Storms treat you? Very few get around it without a dusting.

Have you climbed Jacob's Ladder yet, and scoped out the sexiest curator in the world at the Jamestown museum? Say hello to Donny's for me, and Anne's Place, too.

Where to next? Ascension? Fernando?

We need the dope, Fred, you've been holding back on us.

Fair winds and good landfalls. It's downhill all the way home now.

John Vigor

http://www.johnvigor.com