Typhoon original sail plan & rigging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dane
NorthEast, Md

Post by Dane »

Capt Shinchman,
I read elsewhere on this board that there is 6 inches of room at the top of the forestay to carry the genoa higher. He did it for visibility, but we might consider it for optimal sail shape. With the genny a few inches higher, the genny car should move toward the stern for optimal shape. No need for a longer track, and slightly more projected area up high on light air days. All that is required is a short pennant between the tack and the shackle.

Well, that's what the guy did and I can't wait to try it.
Fair winds,
Dane
NorthEast, Md

Post by Dane »

Capt Shinchman,
I read elsewhere on this board that there is 6 inches of room at the top of the forestay to carry the genoa higher. He did it for visibility, but we might consider it for optimal sail shape. With the genny a few inches higher, the genny car should move toward the stern for optimal shape. No need for a longer track, and slightly more projected area up high on light air days. All that is required is a short pennant between the tack and the shackle.

Well, that's what the guy did and I can't wait to try it.
Fair winds,
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

Post by boom2it »

I recently installed a roller furler with a new head sail. Am I wrong or when I need to furl the head sail say from Genoa size 150% to Jib size 110/100% or smaller, can't I just move the sheets from the Genoa tracks to the jib tracks on top to help with sail shape?? This has been my plan all along or am I missing something?? Why not just relocate your sheets?? Is this unacceptable when reducing head sail on a roller furler? I haven't yet tried this to see what the performance will be with shape and all or if it will be to chaotic a process . I also have the option of furling the Genoa completely and hanking on the working jib, utilizing the jib tracks if that doesn't work. The jib halyard is now an extra halyard with the installation of the roller furler.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

bump.....how about an answer

Post by boom2it »

???
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Am I wrong or when I need to furl the head sail say from Genoa size 150% to Jib size 110/100% or smaller, can't I just move the sheets from the Genoa tracks to the jib tracks on top to help with sail shape??<<

To change sail trim moving the block along the track will change sheetiing angle. As you furl the Genoa, the sheeting angle changes unless you move the block.

Sail shape though, is a different problem and the real problem is that the sail has shape to begin with. So as you roll it up, it can't roll evenly because it's not flat. The sail can't be cut properly for every possible degree of furl and so optimum sail shape deteriorates as you furl. Your sailmaker can install foam that will help or you can live with it.

>>I also have the option of furling the Genoa completely and hanking on the working jib, ...<<

What do you hank the jib onto?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

hummmm

Post by boom2it »

Good question Neil, I didn't think of that. There is no way the hank the jib on, so I guess I have an extra halyard now.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
nprice
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon daysailor, "Pattie B Too" New Meadows River, ME.

It's a

Post by nprice »

Spinnaker halliard :D
Nick Price
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

:wink: do what you want, its yours....

i am a off shore sailor,

put a 150% on her and watch her get a nother knot or two out of her or more and put her rails in the water....

and put three reefing points on the main as the wind picks up,

its fun and she can take allot more water....

its fun....winthrop