Through-deck electrical fittings????

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

Sea Clams

Post by gates_cliff »

I contacted Sea Blue? (distributor) and asked if I could run a flat wire through one and the tech said no. I like the idea a lot, just wish I could use it with a flat wire. However, on the boat next to mine, the guy has 2 or 3 flat wires running through Sea Clams and he said he hasn't had any problems.
The Patriot

Re: I'm hoping these will work for me

Post by The Patriot »

Warren S wrote:I installed ... this little baby for the new coax I ran up the mast:
http://content.westmarine.com/images/ca ... 540740.jpg
Very clean and easy installation.
I use these also, Warren, and they have worked well since year 2000. They are certainly watertight, nice looking, and easy to use when not cutting off the connector. However there is one area where they are weak, and that is UV resistance. I have had two separate large size units and one smaller size unit essentially disintegrate on the up-facing portion due to sun exposure. They just weakened and cracked, and they had never been over-tightened. I have since replaced them with the same part, but now I make sure to cover the entire connector with some sort of plastic electrical tape to keep the sun off. This is working well, and the tape is simple to replace when necessary. If you do not cover them, I think you will eventually have problems.