Boom Vang for a cd 31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Jim:

I have a vang set up on my 31, and do not have a problem with it fouling the mainsheet. The lower block on my vang attaches to the base of the mast, and while it may contact the mainsheet on a starboard reach or running downwind (I have never really noticed whether it does) it doesnt contact hard enough to cause any issues with running the mainsheet in or out.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

If you look at the second photo of mine above, you will see that my mainsheet goes from the boom down to a stand-up block near the base of the mast, then crosses over to the turning block on the port side.

Do you not have that stand-up block at the base of the mast? (It is slightly aft and to starboard.) If you go straight from the boom to that turning block, I would think that the angle of entry would be pretty bad, hard on your rope and offering great resistance. Is it possible that you are using the stand-up block as a way to route your main halyard to the cockpit instead? I don't think that that is what it (on my boat) was intended for. In any event, I like my halyards at the mast.

Looking at my setup in the photo, it appears that perhaps, when used simply as a vang, on port tack the vang might touch the mainsheet where the sheet is going down (slightly to starboard) to the stand-up block, when the sail is way out. But if it is that far out, I am most likely in the preventer mode.

Catch my drift?

Anyway, I have noticed no issues.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Jim Cornwell

Boom Vang for CD31

Post by Jim Cornwell »

You're absolutely correct (and the photo shows it clearly). On board this weekend, I noted that the standing block is slightly to starboard, not to port as I'd remembered it. So the potential conflict would indeed be on port tack. But I'm glad to hear that nobody has had a problem so I'll go ahead with rigging a boom vang as described. Thanks! Jim.
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Nicro-Fico Traveller Systems

Post by Phil Shedd »

I took the plunge this week and bought the boom vang and bails that go with the CD 31 . Price not to bad got it at Defender.

I then went to order the Nicro-Fico conversion kit so we would have an adjustable traveller. The price for the kit was $699.00 from Rig Rite.

Does any one know of an other source for Nicro-Fico Traveller Systems?

I have spend more boat bucks this year than planned and the kit at that price but me over the edge. :D

thanks

Phil