Alternatives to West Marine, etc.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Clothspins

Post by SeaBelle »

I keep a good supply of old wooden cloths pins on board. In addition to hanging out the laundry, they are used to clip everything closed and dry: potato chips, cereal, etc

And Neil, I drink the '2 buck Chuck' sold for 3 bucks here in the East - bueno y cheapo.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Clothspins

Post by Neil Gordon »

SeaBelle wrote:And Neil, I drink the '2 buck Chuck' sold for 3 bucks here in the East - bueno y cheapo.
I'm with you. Three bottles of $5 wine equals far more fun than one bottle of $15 wine.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Bottles and pins

Post by Steve Laume »

This thread has quickly degenerated to the realm of cheap wine and old socks. We have been buying our cheap wine in boxes. You have to show some restrain with a full box as there is no clanking of accumulated empty bottles to warn you that you may be overindulging. Wine box stowage is very easy, especially if you eliminate the box. The bladder can be stowed anywhere and if increased toughness is required you could always stuff it inside one of those bags you have made out of an old sail or a really stretched out winter sock. The empty bladders are rinsed well and then refilled with water to be frozen for the next trip. Really the only reason we drink the wine is to get the bladders to make ice bags. It would seem a shame to waste the original contents so we do drink it.

I use wooden cloths pins at home to hold the toastitos bags shut and for other less critical tasks. On the boat we have gone high tech. I picked up one of those cheap little containers of brightly colored spring clamps they hawk by the front counter at Sears. They are stronger and have a better reach than regular cloths pins. You can mix or match bright orange, blue, yellow or purple. They are very secure around the lifelines when you want to go for the tramp cruiser look with laundry hanging all over the boat at anchor.

Something else we use is plastic coffee "cans". I don't use them with the lids on to stow a bunch of things on the boat as I can't see what is inside them. What I do use them for is organizing small stuff in the lockers above the galley counter area. This started because I didn't want to set a can of WD-40 directly on the cabinet surface. When steel cans live inside of plastic coffee cans you don't get rust rings on the boat. So all the misc lubes go in one. Sunscreen has a separate one of it's own. Those charcoal lighters, with the annoying steel parts, we use to spark the stove, set in another. Olive oil definitely has one. If you grind your own beans, just ask friends as someone you know is tossing a bunch of those things in the trash. They come in a nice nautical selection of red and green colors.

Okay, I best go drink some more fresh grind now, Steve.
Troy Scott

too much cheap wine

Post by Troy Scott »

Neil wrote: "Three bottles of $5 wine equals far more fun than one bottle of $15 wine."

And I add: "but we have to factor in the subsequent additional expense of Excedrin or the equivalent for the happy group, especially if the cheap wine was red....."
Regards,
Troy Scott
mgphl52

Re: Plastic coffee cans

Post by mgphl52 »

Steve,

Great idea! I'll have to scout around the complex for other coffee drinkers - give me a chance to meet some more neighbors! (We just moved again, 2nd time in 7 months...)

Can't wait to get a slip here in Biloxi and have KAYLA close by again!

-michael & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Troy Scott

Biloxi!?!?

Post by Troy Scott »

Michael & Toni,

Yor're practically next door! Have we met? CD folks need to get together, share stories and Margaritas, etc.. Have you joined our Central Gulf Coast Fleet? We are, if I do say so myself, a nice bunch of folks. Unfortunately I've missed the last few meetings, but that's gonna change.
Regards,
Troy Scott
mgphl52

Ahoy Troy!

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Troy,

Yes! Great folks in CGF! But one wouldn't expect any less, after all they are Cape Dory people... :D :D :D

I just sent you a PM as well.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!