lubercating light bulb sockets

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

Re: Metaphor?

Post by mahalocd36 »

Oswego John wrote:Melissa,

Call it a metaphor or a simile, or whatever you want, all I know is that I was agreeing with you. :D

O J
Hi OJ! I know. I assumed you meant just what you said, that vaseline would work in the situation answering the original poster's question.

I just reread my post and I guess it could be taken the wrong way (though, I'm still missing how your post or mine is a metaphor, but that's okay) as I didn't explicitly state that the vaseline was applied to the light bulb threads before it is screwed into the light bulb socket . (Who knows, dirty minds might take this sentence the wrong way too). :?

Both Rich's Dad and mine were both electricians and both always did this.

No worries OJ!

Melissa
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Hey, OJ,

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Not being argumentative, either, just offering up ideas for the least amount of $$$. If I wanted to start something, I might ask about thoughts on drag on freewheeling vs locked props. But I did not!
Question, though, ever stick an ohmeter's probes in the No-Ox-id? My tub of the stuff (NO-OX-ID "A-SPECIAL) show infinite resistance (no conductivity). I hope we are both talking about the same stuff. Makes sense to be nonconductive around electricity.
Another thought would be a bottle of Penetrox (Burndy Products). Its an electric joint compound for all bare AL/AL and AL/Cu connections, prevention of oxide build-up and for use as anti-seize thread lubricant. Issue is, its a couple of bucks (8oz bottle) at the electical house. Needed it for the main breakers in the house, so...
Need something that is nonconductive, prevents oxidation, acts as an antiseize, wont run off or evaporate and is inexpensive. Plenty of products out there, and many of us offfered up some ideas, so Gary, try something and let us know how it turned out.