Carl Alberg Pearson Electra question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Yea, but was it a Triad trailer? Mine is, they make hands down the best sailboat trailers in this country. Each axle is rated for 4000 lbs. I have had mine since 1990 and I have launched a retrieved a 3300 lbs Tanzer 22 probably a hundred times and put on a few thousand miles trailering in the nortteast. I am not worried about the structural integrity of this proven iron beast since it's going to carry only measly 3000 lbs. Not a single weld let go on it in 18 years. I am however worried about the structural integrity on my 2002 Astro van with 102 thousand miles on it, I am considering renting a U-Haul pickup truck to get my boat in Michigan. My only concern as far as launching a retrieving the Electra is its draft and the strength of the point of attachment of the winch hook on the boat.
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Yea, but was it a Triad trailer? Mine is, they make hands down the best sailboat trailers in this country. Each axle is rated for 4000 lbs. I have had mine since 1990 and I have launched a retrieved a 3300 lbs Tanzer 22 probably a hundred times and put on a few thousand miles trailering in the nortteast. I am not worried about the structural integrity of this proven iron beast since it's going to carry only measly 3000 lbs. Not a single weld let go on it in 18 years. I am however worried about the structural integrity on my 2002 Astro van with 102 thousand miles on it, I am considering renting a U-Haul pickup truck to get my boat in Michigan. My only concern as far as launching a retrieving the Electra is its draft and the strength of the point of attachment of the winch hook on the boat.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Trailer Problems

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Trapper,

I can certainly sympathize with some of what you went through. For those reasons, I offer the following tip to save the day (and the wallet)

My own personal rule of thumb is for two (or more) axles for a trailer for any boat or other load that weighs over one ton.

There's not much you can do or say when you come across trailer trouble while in a shipyard or marina that won't let you work or weld on your own rig. Safety rules, insurance, liability damage to other boats, etc. This tip is mostly for breakdowns on the road while en route.

Sometimes, when things happen that you need somrthing welded or supports need to be beefed up and a weldor isn't available, you can patch things up with a temporary bandaid fix until later. This to at least get you home without losing the load.

I used to carry 5/16" and 3/8" pieces of angle iron and scrap lengths of slotted Kindorf or Power Strut with me. Also a 3/8" chuck cordless drill motor, extra battery and assorted bits. A power band saw is nice but a variable speed hack saw will do. "C" clamps help a lot.

Many a brace and jury rig were fabricated in the field and assembled with an assortment of 1/2" nuts, bolts and washers until a proper fix can be done under better conditions. Of course, a tool kit of necessary items, especially a tape measure and assorted wrenches move the job along.

But there is ALWAYS something that you forget to bring along. So God bless Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware.

I feel your pain,
O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Mar 27th, '08, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
novotny

Post by novotny »

Sorry about the double post...