cape horn self steering

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

lubeckmaine

cape horn self steering

Post by lubeckmaine »

The scales are tipping towards putting my money where my mouth is on the Cape Horn steering for an installation on the Diapensia. Last night I reviewed the info Scanmar-Monitor sent me last Fall, a photo of a unit mounted on a CD 36 transom with the (offending) control lines leading to the wheel at the helm-lines in the cockpit. In my conversations with Cape Dory, I am assured the Cape Horn quadrant will be installed above the tube as it emerges in the lazarette, "so the struts and the first pair of blocks cans be fastened on the underside of the deck. So when in operation, it leaves the bottom of the lazaret available for storage of lines, fenders or life jackets (that kind of stuff)". Thence, the lines lead to additional blocks forward that turn to the quadrant at the helm. Neat and direct.

My only further question is how the bungee cords performed in terms of a breakaway protection in case we hit flotsam, or whatever.
rwarvin
Location: 30 FT Cape dory cutter rig name ua noa located in honolulu,hi

cape horn

Post by rwarvin »

as long as you tie the rudder to the boat it gives away if you hit something and you want lose the rudder and just reinstall back on tube.
David Perry

Cape Horn self steering

Post by David Perry »

Jimmy, I've communicated with the owners of Tumbleweed and they suggested that you talk with Eric or Yves @ Cape Horn. They should have the pictures and details for their CD 36. They are on the west coast of Florida currently with Tumbleweed.
lubeckmaine

cape horn self steering

Post by lubeckmaine »

David, good to hear from you. I misspoke in the last post...it should have read "communicated with Cape Horn.....," which, in fact, I have, first with Yves, who suggested the ladder be moved so the tube may be centered, and with Eric, whom I quoted in the previous post. I have also heard from an owner considering a Cape Horn installation in a CD36, who was inquiring about who was going to do the installation, the answer being myself and some very careful and deliberate sailing buds. The remaining question is: installation in the water, or on the hard where the Diapensia currently resides, a picture of which I'd sent to Dan, who commented immediately that she was not level, which was true and subsequently corrected judging by the flow of water in the cockpit. However, the most accurate leveling would occur afloat, given gear is evenly distributed, the object being to insure a level installation of the tube. Still, plenty of time to chew on all this. Jimmy