Sail Rite Sewing Machine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Judith

Ron: about to find out

Post by Judith »

Ron Musk wrote:Are they too much machine to use for hemming pants or sewing up a split seam in a pillow case for example. Thanks
Part of the reason I bought my 'industrial knockoff' (besides all the sewing for the boat) was because my old home machine bit the dust. So far, I've used the new heavy-duty one for 1) sail repair, then 2) medium-weight cotton curtains. It worked well for both--which would suggest pillowcases and pants would fare just fine.

My next project is some silk living-room sheer curtains, and I'm a little nervous, wondering if the machine will chomp the daylights out of this fabric. On the other hand, all those delicate things we buy ready-made must have been sewn industrially, no?

I'll try to remember to let you know how the machine works with my latest project.

Cheers
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Thanks Judith, let me know how it works with delicate material.
My bride insists any machine I bring home has to be versatile enough to handle her needs as well........works for me.
________
RAIDER 150
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Light duty sewing on a heavy duty machine

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Ron:
To sew "regular" stuff, just change to the appropriate size needle, say a 9 or 11 on very light stuff and the appropriate lighter thread.
The no. 14 you use for sailcloth and Sunbrella will work just fine with medium weight fabrics. You'll probably have to reset the thread tension, but you almost need to do that on each job anyway. Because the feed is so much more positive on a heavier machine, you'll find you get VERY regular stitching on light materials.
Good Luck,
Tony