CD-25 & 2005 Mercury 9.9

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shawnmce
Baltimore MD

Yamaha 8hp high-thrust 4 stroke

Post by shawnmce »

I purchased a Yamaha 8hp high-thrust 4 stroke extra long shaft for my CD26 two years ago and it works beautifully. The only alteration I made was with the mounting board. I moved it forward a few inches to keep the back of the engine hood from hitting the well. I still haven't gotten used to backing yet but these boats aren't noted in that area. Backing would be easier if there was more turning movement of the motor.

The boat cruises nicely at slightly more than 1/2 throttle and I only burned about 6 gallons of gas this year. The throttle arm swings completely back into the engine well and allows both of the drop boards in place when the boat is not in use. Also, I never have to motor with the engine well cover open as before due to the exhaust through the prop. The only negative to this is only 1 six gallon gas tank will fit in the well but that is offset by the improvement in milage from the previous 2 stroke. I offset this with a 3 gallon portable can that fits nicely next to the port side of the engine.

I would highly recommend this outboard to any 25 or 26 owner looking to upgrade.

Shawnmce
Joe Ruelle
Tern About
Lake Superior

Post by Joe Ruelle »

Shawn, thanks for confirming that the Yamaha does fit in the CD-25. I also want to get the extra long shaft like you did. Your input/experiences are very helpful, thanks again.

till later, Joe