Have I Fried My Engine?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

Thanks

Post by jneely »

Thanks for all the informative replies. I changed the oil and ran the engine yesterday. No problems at all. It will still smoke and spit fuel while in gear at high RPMs. However, with no load a brief run at full thtottle produced no unusual exhaust. So I am convinced that the prop is probably fouled again. I'll know for sure when we haul in November.

Isn't it great to have a board like this where we can mine the collective wisdom of hundreds of experienced sailors when problems like this arise? Thanks to our moderators and all those who help to maintain this wonderful site.
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

diesels are tough-we cannot recommend you run them without water pumping through them but if you didn't seize it or crack the head your ok-if you ever forget to open the water intake valve and the engine overheats shut it down and let it cool before you open the seacock! cold water into a hot engine will crack the head!
I had a problem one year with my temp gauge climbing to the "hot" side if I ran the motor for several hours at 2/3 to 3/4 throttle. If I slowed down or took the steps out and got air into the engine compartment it would settle right down way into the green-I checked everything-it could have been either of the water pump impellers-the thermostat-the heat exchanger etc. then one night out of the blue the idea that it might be the water pump belt popped into my mind out of nowhere-well the belt was tight but I replaced it anyway and it solved the problem-seems the belt would get hot and slip a little under load-just enough to get the temp gauge to rise but not enough to overheat! nothing like a $10 repair!--next time I won't spend hours checking---
Lew Gresham

Post by Lew Gresham »

FWIW, I passed on your problems you were having with your Yanmar to my friend today who owns a marina, and is a diesel mechanic. He said if your engine is spitting fuel, it's MOST LIKELY the injectors. He said the tips can burn and not work properly if they have been overheated. Also he mentioned it could be a fuel pressure (Bad Fuel Pump) problem. Black smoke indicated the engine is laboring. White smoke, stuck or bad (worn out) piston rings.
Hope this helps!
Weekender
hull #914