What Made You Choose a Cape Dory?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I chose a CD because I knew them from owning a Typhoon and have always trusted ALberg's designs and was familiar with CD construction - good and not so good. Another rather important reason was this board. It is a huge factor in maintaining the value and quality of our boats and would like to see it continue on and on and on.

What it came down to though, because we never really thought we could afford a CD 33, was it was the first boat we both felt it was the smallest boat we could be really comfortable living on for long periods of time. Carmela thought she could really drive it too. We had chartered quite a few boats before and she knows what she is capable of.

The boat is just a joy for what we do. I single handed her across Lake Superior this May and had 45 knots of beating last year only losing a few battens and the leech of my Genny (that's another story - you can search cape dory superior sailing on You Tube for the before and during videos). So for six seasons she has been fun and enjoyable. Please note I enjoy working on her too - a must for us CD'ers unless you got the cash.

Also, my older brother was telling me to "Buy the Boat, Buy the boat!"

Those are the reasons we got a CD.

Paul Danicic
Grand Marais MN, looking forward to a week aboard in a few days with my three year old.
Dean Abramson

Love at first sight

Post by Dean Abramson »

When I first started talking sailboats, an acquaintance said, "check out Cape Dorys." I did, and fell in love. At that time, Robinhood used to display some of their boats on a lot right on US Rte. 1, in Woolwich or somewhere, and I used to drive by, sometimes stopping to look them over, and drool.

I meant for our first boat to be a Ty Weekender. But my wife wanted a bigger cabin, and we wound up with an obscure boat called a Seaforth Coastal Cruiser, which is sort of a really poor man's Stone Horse, but a sloop, not a cutter. I will always love that boat.

One day at my marina, I got a guy to give me a tour of his 25D. Man, did we want one then! Looked at one 26 also, but wound up with a sweet 25D which had been on the Hudson near Albany. Named her Mariah. Man, I will always really love that boat! It's a good thing too, since the new owners (who love her too) have her on a mooring about 100 yards from us now, and I gaze upon her with fondness.

There was a while when I gazed with envy and regret, because this new philly turned out to be one ornery nag. But fortunately, her disposition improves, it turns out, if you feed her money and medicate her bowels.

We love our 31 now, and I am virtually certain this we will be our last boat, which we will sail for a long time. We really only looked at Cape Dorys. And yes, I always take a glance back from the launch when we leave, and my heart smiles.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
barfwinkle

Ditto

Post by barfwinkle »

Another rather important reason was this board. It is a huge factor in maintaining the value and quality of our boats and would like to see it continue on and on and on.
Paul, could not be more correct. This board is one of, if not the most, valuable asset (short of the boats themselves) we possess.

And remember that it (this web site) is wholly supported by our membership dues! So if you are registered on this board and are not a member, please consider becoming a member today. Our investments are well worth the modest fee.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
mike ritenour

How do I count the ways.....

Post by mike ritenour »

CD were always a "well spoken of boat". The ole salts in my harbour changed their tone of voice when speaking of the Cape Dory line.

My first sail on a CD was a ride to hell and the little TY brought us safely back, grinning ear to ear! I knew then and there I had found the designer and builder I was looking for.

It took a few other boats until I found "LaVida". For over 17 years She has proven to be, a most admirable lady to take to sea.

Ditto OJ, she's a keeper!

Rit
Russell

Re: Ditto

Post by Russell »

barfwinkle wrote:
Another rather important reason was this board. It is a huge factor in maintaining the value and quality of our boats and would like to see it continue on and on and on.
Paul, could not be more correct. This board is one of, if not the most, valuable asset (short of the boats themselves) we possess.

And remember that it (this web site) is wholly supported by our membership dues! So if you are registered on this board and are not a member, please consider becoming a member today. Our investments are well worth the modest fee.

Fair Winds
Well said. This board is an amazing resource, I cant think of any other out of production boat out there that can boast such an amazingly active owners association. In hindsight, it played a part in my eventual purchase of a CD. Even current production boats dont have such an active board. The reason behind it of course is that CDs are cult boats, and for good reason.

For what its worth, I am a dues paying member of CDSOA, I decided to join and pay solely because of this board. Given my cruising area, there is no meet ups I can attend, and since I move around a lot receiving the newsletter isnt feasable either. I joined and paid solely because of this board and the feeling that I benefit so much from it that the dues are more then worth it to lend my support.

Richard, thanks for starting this topic, some great stories coming out here! I find big smiles on my face as I read them.

What I did not mention in my previous post is this: The first "big" boat I sailed on was a CD36, when I was about 14. My best friend at the time, their parents had one (and still do I beleive). It stuck with me through the years, and I always associated CD with proper ocean going boats. In fact when I was shopping for a boat, I do think I was predetermined to buy a CD36. In the dozens of boats I did look at, the very first was a CD36, and in all I ended up looking at almost every CD36 on the east coast, 1/4th of the boats I looked at were those. Oh and after so many dozens of boats, I happened to buy the very first one I had viewed.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
mike ritenour

Paying dues

Post by mike ritenour »

I firmly agree.........this board and the folks who make it the wonderful support tool it is need to be supported.
The reasonable dues for membership in the CDSOA fund this board's operational costs, along with the other functions the association provides.

If your not a member and find this board useful, please consider becoming a member.......................especially of the GREAT LAKES FLEET :wink: .

Rit
Dean Abramson

Absolutely

Post by Dean Abramson »

I second the above posts. This forum was definitely a factor in our decision to look mainly at CDs. We just didn't want to leave the family.

This is a great group of sailors, with so many folks willing to help out on even the most complicated, or mundane, or even really smelly issues.

I admit that I visited here a lot before I became a member. But membership is what keeps this thing going, so I encourage others to join. It makes you feel warm and fuzzy, and it's cheap.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

The best $40 you'll ever spend on your boat :!: :!: :!:
Bill Member #250.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I wanted a solid family cruising boat "of a certain age" so it would fit my budget. A few years old but not too old--I wanted to sail, and not spend all my time refitting. There are a number of manufacturers' boats that fit the bill. What tipped me over to Cape Dory?

THIS BOARD.

Thanks everyone!!!
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

While looking for another boat in 2001 I came across and ad for a CD25D. The only thing I knew about CD's was from seeing Typhoons on trailers some 25 years prior. I loved the lines. So I call and make an appointment to see the 25D. We meet at the docks and the owner leads the way. Understand that at this point I wouldn't know a CD if it ran over me. So as we were walking down the dock I'm looking around at all these rather sad looking plastic boats when I see up ahead a lovely boat. When we approach the owner turns and low and behold the lovely boat was his 25D for sale. And as they say the rest is history. I'll be honest, when I bought Seraph, I did not really know or fully appreciate what I was getting. A 25D located on the inland lake I sail in central Texas is about as rare as hens teeth. I was simply in the right place at the right time and smart enough to appreciate what was laid before me.
And to boot, the only reason I was looking and had the cash in hand, was the fact that I was laid off the month prior, given a rather nice severance package and was planning to use it so I could take the entire year off and sail the Bahamas. But as I was preparing my old boat an old friend called and said that his company had a job that was perfect for me. BUT I don't want a job, I want to go sail!. As a favor I went in and checked it out. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I go back to work and now I don't need the severance money to live on so I start looking for another boat and tada Seraph appears.
Ain't life grand!!
Even a blind sow finds an acorn from time to time.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CDs

Post by Oswego John »

Randy,

I got a huge kick out of your descriptive prose.

Good story with a happy ending, too.

O J
Leonard Lookner

why a cape dory

Post by Leonard Lookner »

In 1986, late in the fall, about the time that the sardine plant had closed and there was a shift from commercial to recreational boats in Yarmouth Harbor on the Royal River.
There sat the prettiest sail boat all by herself. I remember that it had five ports so it had to be a 33 or 36, I know that the 40 and 45 have five, but I remember the grace of this boat and am most sure it was a 36.
I asked a friend what it was, and he said a Cape Dory. It has always caught my eye.
And as we all know "Life is to short to own an ugly boat."
Judith

What Warren said. . .PLUS

Post by Judith »

We also had the apparently-common "love at first sight" reaction.

After we decided to buy a boat together, I was getting multiple emails per day: "Check this out!," "Here's one!," "I think I'm in love!". It was all over the map to start with (most memorably with the enchanting 'Periwinkle', who was too big for novice sailers, much too old, and WOODEN, all of which left me backing away with fingers in the sign of the cross, saying "Get thee behind me, Periwinkle!" How captivating was she? Well, I think Warren still has her as desktop background on one of his computers. . .).

Then somehow, mysteriously, everything narrowed down to Cape Dorys. I'm not sure how that happened, except we both loved the lines. . .AND I researched the justifiably-esteemed CD board: somewhere in the archives is a post that answers "Why a CD?" with a wonderfully-specifc discussion of hull-thickness, construction procedures, bronze accessories, etc, etc. If Cape Dory were still in business, they should pay that poster commissions.

Everything was quite rational. Then we climbed down into the not-yet-advertised 270 and had what I always think of as the Movie Moment: time stopped, violins swelled, and the thought overwhelmed us simultaneously, "This is IT! I WANT this boat!"

And a short while later, we bought Morveren :D
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Derek Matheson

Re: What made you choose a Cape Dory?

Post by Derek Matheson »

I didn't really have any criteria, just looked at some smaller boats (hi there Seahunt!) like Hunter 19, Oday 222, Catalina 22, Capri 22. Didn't want to trailer launch. Once you get a slip, why not get a bigger boat, right?

1. Saw the ad on Craigslist locally and the photo looked good.
2. The PO took me for a sail and it seemed OK and stable when the wind puffed 25 knots. And he seemed like a good guy.
3. The kids liked the interior floor with yellow and brown wood.
4. The kids liked the wheel and said it was like a real ship.
5. I could stand up in the cabin without bumping my head.
6. I could lie down in the V berth without bumping my head.
7. I could lie down in the cockpit without bumping my head.
8. The kids can sit on the cabintop with their feet on the deck.
9. Two people can lean back on cabintop/foredeck comfortably.
10. My friend who grew up in Massachusetts said its a good boat.
11. Liked the 4 ft draft for the Chesapeake.
12. Looked at a Catalina 27, with an outboard.

In the end, we only daysail anyway, and would prefer a bigger cockpit but the CD28 has been just fine. Probably a CD25 would have been OK too.

Don't get me started on docking, though. I am now an expert in warping lines around posts as she (me?) does not back up predictably.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

I bought the one that fits in my garage

Post by RIKanaka »

When I was looking at a boat to buy that would be comfortable for my kids and more appropriate for my age than what I had sailed in my youth (Lasers, Sunfish, Hobies), I came across a Catalina 22 on a trailer up in Massachusetts and Typhoon in the water down in Mamaroneck, NY, both on that infamous auction site. I went out to my garage with a tape measure to see which could be housed (a requirement of our neighborhood association) and, as fate would have it, the garage was 19.5 feet deep. So the Typhoon won out. It didn't hurt that it was 10 times better looking in the water than the Catalina on the trailer. It even looks great sitting in the garage.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn