Sail Plan while Running?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

Re: Wing and Wing w/ Yankee

Post by Russell »

Dean Abramson wrote:
Russell, does your staysail still have its boom (like mine)? I would like to try winging the headsails, but I assumed I would not be able to get the staysail out enough, because of the lifelines. Or do I rig a longer outhaul, then extend the boom as far as it goes, and then let the outhaul out to move the sail beyound the lifelines? I have never heard of this, but it just occurred to me.

Dean
Hi Dean,

I have no problem getting the boom out a decent amount, and ultimately it does most of the job of a pole anyways. The cut of my staysail allows the boom to lift a fair amount and it clears the lifelines. Unless your sail is cut unusually low, you should be fine. I then rig a preventer to the boom to keep it forward and hold it down a bit. Once that is all setup then you can adjust the outhaul to get the amount of belly you want in the sail.

It ends up working pretty well, but not as well as two identical jibs would. If I ever chose to cross the pacific I will certainly have a second jib made and run that way. But for the breif downwind trips I do this setup works well and I far prefer it to the main/jib combo.

The one problem you may run into is your staysail sheet may not actually be long enough to sheet it out this far, before you head out to try it at sea, check at the dock that you have a long enough sheet.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Russell

Post by Russell »

A note for those of you who are using their main when running, if you dont have a boom vang, its a good investment, keeping the boom pulled down and flattening the sail allows you to sheet it out more before you start rubbing on the spreaders. I know my CD36 didnt come with a vang, not sure if any CDs did. I have a standard block and tackle vang right now, but on my wish list is a good rigid boom vang.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Then there's this YouTube classic

Post by Carter Brey »

Ron Churgin

Rigid Boom Vang (sounds like a new rock group)

Post by Ron Churgin »

Hi Russell,

I think I will take your advice about the boom vang. Does anyone know if the Garhauer Marine rigid vang can also replace the topping lift?

What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of a rigid or conventional boom vang (other than the obvious one of cost)?

Ron
Ron Churgin
Troy Scott

youtube sailing

Post by Troy Scott »

Carter,

Thanks for the link! I watched several of them. Some are really nice, with good musical accompaniment, etc.. Others I would avoid like the plague.
Regards,
Troy Scott