CD36 predecessor: Adriatic Alberg 37???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Vigor

Re: RE: CD36 predecessor: Adriatic Alberg 37???

Post by John Vigor »

Glen C wrote: After 2 weeks of diligent research, I couldn't find anyone who had heard of Adriatic Yachts, Ltd. I wondered if the "Ltd" meant that they only produced one boat.
William Garden designed a boat called the Adriatic 40 that was built around 1979. It was built in the USA apparently by V. Radovcich. Perhaps Adriatic also commissioned Alberg to design a 36-footer for them that later became the Cape Dory 36.

"Ltd." after a firm's name simply means it's a limited-liability company, a designation far more common in Canada and Britain than in the USA.

John Vigor
Boyd

Interesting tid bit

Post by Boyd »

While looking over references to Whitby I stumbled across this. May be a good person to ask.

Whitby Boat & Specialty Wood Work Ltd.

Alex Magnone was a cabinet-maker in Calabria, Italy, before emigrating to Canada in 1968 at the age of 26. On arrival in Canada he was hired by Whitby Boat Works to do boat interior installations. In 1973 he became foreman of the assembly line. "I know every Alberg 37 that went out the doors," says Alex. "Each one has its own character and was fitted out slightly different for each owner. My wife says I know those boats better than I know my own house." Whitby Boat Works sold the land and buildings to the municipality of Whitby when it closed. Alex rented part of the building back from the city and set up Whitby Boat & Specialty Wood Work Ltd. for repair work and refits, mostly on boats he had previously outfitted and commissioned.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

More HIN's

Post by Jim Davis »

Here is the US Law on HIN's http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatb ... 181_2a.htm

Unfortunately the requirement for a second number began in 84 nd leaves it up to the builder to pick the spot. In your conversations with Robinhood, you might ask where they put the number. It is supposed to be hidden so you may get lucky. Of course going back to Russell's comments if you find one that could open the door to more problems.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Cushions

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Those are not stock Cape Dory Cushions. See the Nautical Quarterly article on this site for a photo of the standard cusions for the model of CD that is relevant:
http://www.capedory.org/nqarticle/index.html
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
bill2

creativity

Post by bill2 »

My first thought about all this is along Russell's lines - some kind of deception however -

There are some states that'll issue you a "new" HIN iffen the new owner produces documentation and attests to valid ownership . ie PA

So if we let our minds wander ( and I'm certainly not saying this happened )
A long time ago owner dies, his boat languishes untended in his estate, finally sold to some live aboards at a bargain price because no one can find the original title they also fail to register it as they never leave the dock, till some new owner comes along and buys it from them outright. The new owner takes his bill of sale and a copy of the PO's bill of sail to the state ( say PA if you like ) and swears on the Bible that they bought it legit. The state of PA issues a new HIN - just as though the boat was homemade and the current owner is so happy he puts it on the boat in several places since some PO has "erased" all traces of the prior HIN ( no make that refurbished the hull after a blow ) . Nice fairy tale with a happy ending

( John V - maybe I could write fiction ? )

Good Luck
John Vigor

Good plot

Post by John Vigor »

Bill, you've got a good plot line going there. But once again, it seems that the truth is stranger than fiction.

Cheers,

John V.
bottomscraper

Re: RE: CD36 predecessor: Adriatic Alberg 37???

Post by bottomscraper »

But it doesn't look like an early '78 CD36 but rather a mid '80s vintage. If it looked like an early CD36 I might bite but I think something else has happened.

John Vigor wrote: William Garden designed a boat called the Adriatic 40 that was built around 1979. It was built in the USA apparently by V. Radovcich. Perhaps Adriatic also commissioned Alberg to design a 36-footer for them that later became the Cape Dory 36.

"Ltd." after a firm's name simply means it's a limited-liability company, a designation far more common in Canada and Britain than in the USA.

John Vigor
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Tom in Cambria

Ltd

Post by Tom in Cambria »

I always thought that Ltd was just the British version of Inc. Corporations are also limited liability organizations, of course, that's one of the reasons one incorporates -- to shelter yourself from liability in case someone sues you. You don't personally want to be responsible for any harm that comes to someone from your product. So if someone gets injured by asbestos, thalidomide or chest implants they can sue your company and put your company out of business, but you are free to enjoy your money because your personal liability is limited. The German version of this is "Gmbh" which you see behind the names of German corporations.
bottomscraper

Check The Engine Serial Number?

Post by bottomscraper »

I wonder if Cape Dory kept track of the engine serial numbers?

This could also be a clue as to the age of the engine assuming it is original.

The last letter indicates the year it was made. Details here:

http://www.perkins.com/cda/files/287332 ... 0Issue5.pd
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
bottomscraper

Oh - Where did they install the genset?

Post by bottomscraper »

Where did they install the genset? I would love to see a picture of that!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
Russell

Re: Oh - Where did they install the genset?

Post by Russell »

bottomscraper wrote:Where did they install the genset? I would love to see a picture of that!
I must have missed something, I didnt notice a mention of a genset. I too would be very curious about how someone managed that on a CD36!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

mid-80's CD36

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Agree with Russell. That's a mid-80's CD36, period. My HN is 114 and it's almost an exact match. Whatever else is going on is fiction.
Jim_B

Post by Jim_B »

I was doing more research this morning along the lines of the engine number and it is a K series = 1985. Things are point to this being a 1985 model. I have a message out to Robinhood to see what they know.

The genset is a 3 KW unit. It pretty much takes up the entire lazarette.
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Electrical Panel - Cape Dory Logo

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Here's what Russell was talking about below the battery switch. My panel is original (except for the Link 10 replacing the original voltmeter.) From the one shot in your album that shows the companionway area, it appears that you have the original panel. If that's the case, there should be some evidence of alteration, e.g., repainting...the CD logo is silkscreened on along with the lines and the breaker labels, etc.

[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g37/w ... dpanel.jpg[/img]
Jim_B

Electrical Panel - Cape Dory Logo

Post by Jim_B »

Bill - Thanks for the pic. I'll be back at the boat in a couple of weeks and will examine the panel. I will also see if Robinhood knows of where another HIN woudl be located.